Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I totally agree with Mobo .... to many things offend others ... they can go spit ... the ones that get offended are not happy unless they have something to be offended about ..... even if WE bend towards them, they will find"error" elsewhere.
Just like I wouldn't say "***dammit" in front of you or "I have to go take a ****" in front of my daughter I would say, "***dammit, I have to go take a ****" in front of of some of my buddies. It is called consideration for your audience. There are people I will cuss in front of and people I won't. I try to be considerate of the other person's sensibilities.

Would any of you like it if you went out to eat and found you and your family sitting at a table next to someone that was cussing and denigrating women and other races? Maybe they don't want to change the way they talk out of principle.

I am willing to bet many of you that won't modify saying "kill" modify other aspects of your language depending on who you might be talking to. To me saying I (took, shot, got, "harvested") the deer instead of killed it is no different.

I do it because I want to be considerate of my audience, NOT because I feel I have to. Big difference.
Bruce ...... give me a break .... you are fooling yourself if you think saying harvest instead of kill is going to make any difference ..... and your examples are a bit extreme friend ......
Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

Would any of you like it if you went out to eat and found you and your family sitting at a table next to someone that was cussing and denigrating women and other races?
No, I certainly wouldn't. But I would know exactly where they stand, there would be no grey area. I can respect that. Personally, I like a person that can just come out and say how they feel, whether it's morally correct or not.I don't have to agree with it though. I would BET that not a one of us members of HNI are batting 1000 w/ morally correct decisions. It just seems that some moral issues are more offending than others, but they are all equal in principle.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with Mobo .... to many things offend others ... they can go spit ... the ones that get offended are not happy unless they have something to be offended about ..... even if WE bend towards them, they will find"error" elsewhere.
Just like I wouldn't say "***dammit" in front of you or "I have to go take a ****" in front of my daughter I would say, "***dammit, I have to go take a ****" in front of of some of my buddies. It is called consideration for your audience. There are people I will cuss in front of and people I won't. I try to be considerate of the other person's sensibilities.

Would any of you like it if you went out to eat and found you and your family sitting at a table next to someone that was cussing and denigrating women and other races? Maybe they don't want to change the way they talk out of principle.

I am willing to bet many of you that won't modify saying "kill" modify other aspects of your language depending on who you might be talking to. To me saying I (took, shot, got, "harvested") the deer instead of killed it is no different.

I do it because I want to be considerate of my audience, NOT because I feel I have to. Big difference.
Bruce ...... give me a break .... you are fooling yourself if you think saying harvest instead of kill is going to make any difference ..... and your examples are a bit extreme friend ......
LOL My examples are extreme? Who's really fooling themselves here? Words mean different things to different people. To you, my examples are extreme. To others I know they would think my examples are very good at illustrating the way words can affect people differently. See how my examples affected you .

Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there such a thing as "light" hypocrisy? If there is, I would have to say this is a prime example.

LT
Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM

The difference between using the words "harvest" and "kill" are quite a bit different than cursing and denigrating women and other racespublicly.

Yes, your examples were extreme.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL My examples are extreme? Who's really fooling themselves here? Words mean different things to different people. To you, my examples are extreme. To others I know they would think my examples are very good at illustrating the way words can affect people differently. See how my examples affected you .
apples and oranges my friend .... you are talking about cussing and racial slurrs ... this convo is about using the word kill .... which is what we do ....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bruce ... your examples only affected me due to the fact they aren't good ones for the convo
Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Would any of you like it if you went out to eat and found you and your family sitting at a table next to someone that was cussing and denigrating women and other races?
No, I certainly wouldn't. But I would know exactly where they stand, there would be no grey area. I can respect that. Personally, I like a person that can just come out and say how they feel, whether it's morally correct or not.I don't have to agree with it though. I would BET that not a one of us members of HNI are batting 1000 w/ morally correct decisions. It just seems that some moral issues are more offending than others, but they are all equal in principle.
So, you are saying you would respect someone like that? Sitting in a restaurant with your wife and children you would let them know you respect that guy because he was saying what he felt?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bruce I just killed a pocket gopher that was digging in the ol lady's garden.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

So, you are saying you would respect someone like that? Sitting in a restaurant with your wife and children you would let them know you respect that guy because he was saying what he felt?
Respect him? No, not really, but I respect the fact that he doesn't sugar coat his feelings. Then I pray for him, diligently.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.