Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And Germ.......

We're doing turkey breast....salad....and Lisa just made a banana pudding.

Touche'!
If you went on Safari for those bananas you got me[:@]
Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just out of curiosity how many people who practice QDM harvest? Maybe they don't "grow" the deer but it gets close. I know for sure that many S.TX. ranches practice harvesting. You can't shoot the deer until it is large enough to meet certain criteria. Yes, there is no doubt that a kill is made but to my way of thinking a harvest happened at the same time. To those who refuse to compromise on a word, and that is all it is, a word, I have to wonder why. I am not trying to be critical, I just don't understand why the rigid stance.I am not in the least bit ashamed of any animal I have caused to cease living. Nor am I ashamed of the way I choose to describe the death of the animal. I don't think it shows disrespect to the animal. After all, it is only a word. Kill, take, or harvest. To me they are all just words.If I will ruffle fewer feathers what difference does it make which one I use.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:15 PM

I'm with you on the avoidable theory. You'll catch more flies with honey. It's all matter of who you're talking to. I'd go into more detail with my hunting buddies, but all the people at work who don't hunt have to know is that I "arrowed" a deer over the weekend. And those who don't want anything to do with hunting will barely wince.

It's such a small thing when you think about it. How many times do you go on about "killing" a deer to your hunting buddies. Personally, we'll tell one another I "shot" or "arrowed" or "took" a nice deer this weekend. Rarely do we say "killed" or "kill shot." More likely to say "right through the vitals" or name the organs.

Anywhoo, its not that big of a deal to simply avoid. Don't think that's selling out.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:17 PM

tx, I guess for me it's a matter of principle. The "world" wants us to use words like harvest because it doesn't sound so cruel. Killing a deer isn't cruel at all, not in the least. It's a God given privelage, we kill to eat. Why do I have to change my vocabulary because the when I say I "killed" a deer it doesn't give some a warm fuzzy feeling? Why should I have to say I "harvested" a deer to cause some folks to feel better about it?? Why do I have to play by the politically correct set of rules? I killed the deer, I didn't break the law.......Folks are so damned concerned w/ offending and BEING offended that they expect everyone to play by a nuetral set of rules.

People are who they are. Why not just embrace them for who they are instead of "forcing" them to play by a different set of rules because someone was offended? No thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

tx, I guess for me it's a matter of principle. The "world" wants us to use words like harvest because it doesn't sound so cruel. Killing a deer isn't cruel at all, not in the least. It's a God given privelage, we kill to eat. Why do I have to change my vocabulary because the when I say I "killed" a deer it doesn't give some a warm fuzzy feeling? Why should I have to say I "harvested" a deer to cause some folks to feel better about it?? Why do I have to play by the politically correct set of rules? I killed the deer, I didn't break the law.......Folks are so damned concerned w/ offending and BEING offended that they expect everyone to play by a nuetral set of rules.

People are who they are. Why not just embrace them for who they are instead of "forcing" them to play by a different set of rules because someone was offended? No thanks.
OK MOBO, I can understand and respect that position. I don't think I am being forced into anything when I decide to use a "milder" term. The terminology I use really doesn't matter to me so if I can get through a day with offernding one less person I will. I guess that is just my nature. I know I kill. I would do it every day if I could. Heck I try to kill a hog usually at least once a week. So I will continue to kill, or at least try to, on every occasion I can. But MY choice is to fit my vocabulary to the company I may be in at the time. Heck, in deer camp I'll tell the world "i'm going to drop a turd". At work....I don't think so. Sometimes I have to adjust my vocabulary to the situation. That said, I'm going to go drop a turd!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM

I hunt, therefor I kill.

I will not deminish what I do by using the word "harvest." The animals I kill are not pen raised, not strictly managed, and aren't planted. They are not crops.

They are living, breathing beings. I kill them.

You don't hunt? That's fine, but realize that I do and the end result is a dead animal.

We aren't going to pacify the anti's by simply using a Disneyappropriate word. We aren't going to sway any "non-hunters" by being politically correct.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, don't be the , what am I looking for, oh, don't be the wuss.

I think you did what "you" wanted to do because you wanted to get a message to someone. OK, but that does not mean that everyone has to be so "easy" just to be accepted to the public eye/ear. I have to agree with mobow on this one. I have lived in the country all my life and just about everyone for miles either hunts or fishes. They have always heard the word kill and have accepted it as a way of life. It's the panty-waisted Nancy-girl attitudes of these activists groups that have blurred the minds of people all along. Culture is one thing. The truth is another. If people who grew up in the city shielded from lifes cruel game of survival, then let them remain shielded if that is what they want. Predatorism is not a human against human scenario, but let the gangsta street "killing" be on the evening news and nobody gives a damn how many times the word "kill" is used. Let someone make a hunting video with the words "kill shot" in it and it gets no airplay. This says the truth about what is going on in our society. Nuff Said.

LT
Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I totally agree with Mobo .... to many things offend others ... they can go spit ... the ones that get offended are not happy unless they have something to be offended about ..... even if WE bend towards them, they will find"error" elsewhere.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 PM

tx, I understand totally where you are coming from, and your view point (and GMMAT's for that matter) aren't wrong. Not in the least. That's the great thing about people, we are all different and thank God for that! It sure would be boring if we were all robots that thought and spoke the same way. I'm just expressing my view of it, and that doesn't make me right or wrong. It's right to me, and for me. Your view point is right to you, and for you. That's cool.

Neither you nor GMMAT were doing this, but what aggravates me is when someone tries to force their opinion on me. That's not right. There's more than 1 way to skin a rabbit so to speak, and as long as the job gets done, it was the right way to do it.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I totally agree with Mobo .... to many things offend others ... they can go spit ... the ones that get offended are not happy unless they have something to be offended about ..... even if WE bend towards them, they will find"error" elsewhere.
Just like I wouldn't say "***dammit" in front of you or "I have to go take a ****" in front of my daughter I would say, "***dammit, I have to go take a ****" in front of of some of my buddies. It is called consideration for your audience. There are people I will cuss in front of and people I won't. I try to be considerate of the other person's sensibilities.

Would any of you like it if you went out to eat and found you and your family sitting at a table next to someone that was cussing and denigrating women and other races? Maybe they don't want to change the way they talk out of principle.

I am willing to bet many of you that won't modify saying "kill" modify other aspects of your language depending on who you might be talking to. To me saying I (took, shot, got, "harvested") the deer instead of killed it is no different.

I do it because I want to be considerate of my audience, NOT because I feel I have to. Big difference.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.