Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Here's my thing, and this is just me I guess. That's my moral belief, and I am going to stick by that. If that were me, and again I'm not trying to insinuate that you were wrong, but if I would have been in that position I would have told them they would have to find someone else then. My feelings and beliefs are what they are, and if they don't like it.....Well, I just really don't care. I'm not changing just because they think I should......Not advise, just my personal belief.
I respect your position, Mobo. Much like the baseball player wanting every ball to be hit to him......or the basketball player wanting the ball......I wanted to do this segment. I really don't trust the next yahoo to convey what I wanted to.

I've got no problems using the kill word. I just know when to use it......and when to exercise diplomacy. Diplomacy = the segment being run.

Believe me guys......people know an animal was killed when we say "harvest".

If you were to be asked to come and talk to a group of boy scouts......at one of their meetings.....to try to educate them on the rewards you've personally realized because of hunting.......and their ONLY request was you substitute "harvest" for "kill"......would you do it???

I'd JUMP at the chance.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:37 PM

If you were to be asked to come and talk to a group of boy scouts......at one of their meetings.....to try to educate them on the rewards you've personally realized because of hunting.......and their ONLY request was you substitute "harvest" for "kill"......would you do it???
No. I am not going to change who I am or what I do or say because someone feels uncomfortable about using the word "kill" when that's what I'm doing. As I said in one of my previous, if they don't like it, I don't care. I think standing up for your passion, and not ........what's the wording I'm looking for here......compromising my beliefs (??) says more for my passion and character than the speech itself.....

Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Must say harvest sounds better, but I always say kill.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 PM

I agree with MOBO 100%. Now if I could have Michael Waddell's job and I couldn't say kill. Well that is a different story.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

This topic has been hammered pretty good a number of times.I personally believe in knowing your audience and erring to the side of consideration.If I am going to possibly offend someone with the use of a certain word I wont use it.I do not regularly use the word harvest,but I probably would have in that situation,if I couldn't have used the word take or taken.
We all know what we are doing when we put an arrow through a deers chest cavity.I look at it from two perspectives,courtesy to those who are not familiar with hunting and intelligence from the perspective of if I am respectful of them,they are more likely to be respectful of me,that may translate in to hunting privilege's,friendships etc..
Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

About the most PC I get is to say shoot or get instead of kill. I'm not a farmer, I don't harvest.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Capt. Mark Bennett

Farmers harvest. Hunters kill. I don't eat things that are still alive. I feel it is cruel to grill something before it is dead. That is inhumane. Who cares what the "others" think ? I say what I mean, and mean what I say. I will never lie or try to cover up what I do. No offense but, are you embarassed or ashamed to call yourself a hunter? I sure as hell don't carry my bow into the woods to do any of my prey any favors. I think it is disrespectful to your game to say they were harvested. If it was me I would rather be killed than harvested. A wise man once said "You have to kill it before you grill it!"

Old 06-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Capt. Mark Bennett

Even farmers send their livestock to a slaughter house, not a harvest house. I know one guy/family on here that will agree with me.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

I'm hungry with all of this talk.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:53 PM

I am right on with mobowhuntr. There is no need to explain the detail and all the blood and what not but you are in fact killing the animal. Everyone knows it so why is it such a big deal?

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.