Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 PM

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

the vast majority of them, they do care about individual's rights. They may not care about hunting or hunters but they do care about americans having rights........ Its not the antis I try to accomodate. It is John and Jane q Public. Those middle of the road folks that may be OK with me hunting, maybe even a little curious, but they don't want a picture in thier head of a dead and bloody deer. Why don't they have to accomodate me? Sheer numbers. That is a sad but true reality.
I think you've pretty much nailed it. We are the minority , and we need to keep this in mind.
Our actions,speech, attitude and visibility to the non-hunting public needs to be considered at all times. We don't want to portray our sport in a negative light to anyone , especially to those who are "on the fence".

I live in a rural sub-division that until last year has NEVER allowed hunting withinit's boundries. Because of this fact and the number of non-hunters on the board of directors , it took 5 years to get an archery hunt to pass by the required board vote.
We (the wildlife commitee) took a giant step forward last year. The archery hunt took place w/ 100+ authorized hunters. If you were to ask a resident(non-hunter) here if hunting was going on last year , they would probably say they weren't sure. We regulated everything from where the hunters parked their trucks to requiring your "harvest" to be covered by a tarp when transporting it through the populated areas. There were 100 guys in stealth mode hunting this property.
As a result of the success of last year's hunt , the board vted again to approve the hunt this year. This time by a6 to 1 vote , instead of a 4-3 vote last year. So what happened? We won over 2 non-hunters.
That was a direct result of our actions as hunters.
Yes, it was a PITA, but there are a few more people who approve of archery hunting now.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

What's wrong with it? Nothing really. I dunno......I'm trying to think of a way to explain my position.......This type of philosophy has become incredibly prevalant in society today. The world teaches us we need to be conservative and tolerant and men need to be sensitive wusses.....

I understand ya'll taking other folks feelings into consideration, but what about OUR feelings (and I don't mean us, as in those of us that use the word kill. I mean us, as a whole, hunters......us)???? Why do WE need to be considerate of them, why can't they be considerate of us, the way we are, the way we talk and considerate of the fact that we KILL deer?? I know that sounds selfish, but I don't mean it that way.....The world doesn't revolve around me, I understand that. If I step back and let it, the sun will rise all on it's own, and the world will revolve all on it's own, without any help from me.......So I truely don't mean that in a self centered way, but why am I the one that has to be tolerant? Why can't the world be tolerant of us??
Well said, why must we be considerate of them. I mean we don't need to go out of our way to be offensive, but if their offended by the word kill, I think thats THEIR problem and maybe should seek help for that!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I harvest vegetables or crops, kill deer, and eat or "consume" (if you will) both. Let's not juice it up here, it is what it is. I'd use the word "take" before harvest...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duh because they were eating their flowers and running into their SUV's!

ORIGINAL: archer58

the vast majority of them, they do care about individual's rights. They may not care about hunting or hunters but they do care about americans having rights........ Its not the antis I try to accomodate. It is John and Jane q Public. Those middle of the road folks that may be OK with me hunting, maybe even a little curious, but they don't want a picture in thier head of a dead and bloody deer. Why don't they have to accomodate me? Sheer numbers. That is a sad but true reality.
I think you've pretty much nailed it. We are the minority , and we need to keep this in mind.
Our actions,speech, attitude and visibility to the non-hunting public needs to be considered at all times. We don't want to portray our sport in a negative light to anyone , especially to those who are "on the fence".

I live in a rural sub-division that until last year has NEVER allowed hunting withinit's boundries. Because of this fact and the number of non-hunters on the board of directors , it took 5 years to get an archery hunt to pass by the required board vote.
We (the wildlife commitee) took a giant step forward last year. The archery hunt took place w/ 100+ authorized hunters. If you were to ask a resident(non-hunter) here if hunting was going on last year , they would probably say they weren't sure. We regulated everything from where the hunters parked their trucks to requiring your "harvest" to be covered by a tarp when transporting it through the populated areas. There were 100 guys in stealth mode hunting this property.
As a result of the success of last year's hunt , the board vted again to approve the hunt this year. This time by a6 to 1 vote , instead of a 4-3 vote last year. So what happened? We won over 2 non-hunters.
That was a direct result of our actions as hunters.
Yes, it was a PITA, but there are a few more people who approve of archery hunting now.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Do unto others.......
Before they do unto you!!

I have harvested a couple deer with swathers. Trust me, I would rather kill them huntingthen harvest them!! [] I will not say harvest as it isn't. Got, shot,drilled or killed works for me. About as PC as I get.

Tim