Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Super Slam

Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Super Slam

I have often wondered about the Super Slam and what is involved in it. My biggest question is are the animals taken all Pope & Young or can you shoot any animal in the species? If any animal in a species counts that would mean females and young too? I have done internet searches and have not found any info on this. Who keeps tract of this P & Y? Is there a book?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Super Slam

There are only a few hunters who have completed the Super Slam,Chuck Adams being the first of course.All of Chucks animals were not Pope and Young qualifiers.The first person to complete the SS with all P&Y qualifiers was Tom Hoffman,a New York State resident and a heck of a nice guy,I believe he was number three to complete the SS.Jim Ryan,Jack Frost and a believe a couple of others have done it.Some gentleman just completed it and all animals taken were with a stick bow.
I cannot even comprehend the investment of money necessary to complete the SS.The sheep alone must total out at $100,000 plus,and that is providing you are successful on your initial hunts.I don't doubt that the final expense exceeds $500,000.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Wow I wonder how Chuck Adams was ever able to afford that even when he did it back then he must have been born into alot of money to spend that much and be gone hunting all the time, must be nice I am stuck on a roof all day or sheet rocking.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's so expensive for even the most dedicated bow hunter to complete. I've hunting with Jimmy Ryan, great guy and tremendous hunter. He's completed the super slam and the last I talked to him he was 4 away from repeating it. He's invested a lot of time and money into something most of us can only dream about. They don't have to qualify in P&Y to make this feat any less impressive in my opinion.

I'd be happy to take my fav five: whitetail, mule deer, elk, bighorn sheep and moose. I've only got four to go. Best of luck.

Kelly