Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you use same colors for pins?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default do you use same colors for pins?

i was shooting tonight (late) and noticed that it was much harder to see my red pins then my green ones...do you guys use varying color pins or the same color pins?

anyone else find it harder to see red pins during low light conditions.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: do you use same colors for pins?

I use different color pins but I use the green for 20.It is the only pin I will use in a low light scenario at daybreak or at dusk.The rest are fine the rest of the time so it isn't an issue for me.Actually my pins are very visible throughout legal hunting light but the green is definately brighter.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm the same as TFOX. Green for my 20, and in low light I won't shoot beyond it. My 30-40-50 yard pins are red-yellow-and another green. I can't use the same colors. I would be sure to screw up and use the wrong one when buck fever is raging in my blood!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea..the green was much brighter....the yellow was ok, but the red was very dark (i still had about 8 min. of legal shoot time) ...........what do you think about putting them all green?.....i usually don't shoot based on colors i count down from the top 20....30....40...etc...then line that one up and shoot...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

...........what do you think about putting them all green?.....
See my above response! I think they would be nice and bright, but for me, because I'm not always real bright I just don't want to risk it.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've posted this before, and it's always received some praise... I need to patent the idea

For whitetails in the Midwest, I use three pins... 20, 30 and 40. The 20 is green (green light's on; let 'er rip!); the 30 is yellow (let's use some caution here, slow down and make sure this is right); and my 40 is red (whoa! wait a minute... let's stop and see if a better shot will present itself).

It's also the reverse order my pins "wink out" in the dimming light... I lose visibility of my red one first, then the yellow, and finally the green. As it gets darker, the brightest pins remain lit the longest as my effective kill zone shrinks.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybei will experiment with it first......i have a decent gap between each pin so i should be able to count them down fairly easy....

wold you say that yellow would be the next brightest?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

See above post! [8D]

(the answer is yes... )

At least it is for me, JN...
Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea i pretty much agree with what was said, my first pin (20 yards) is green, then i have a yellow, a red, anothergreen and another yellow. My top pin has a replacement fiber and is always brighter than my other pins.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with above, Green is always the brightest, first to show up in low light, last one to disappear in low light, for me it's always my 20. The next is yellow, it's the second to show up and the second from last to disappear, it's my 30 yard pin. I have a red one for 40, if it's light enough to shoot 40, it's light enough to see the pin......I then have another green for 50....just because.

I use a .019 for 20 and 30 and a .010 for 40 and 50.

Quick Reply: do you use same colors for pins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.