Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you use same colors for pins?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Default RE: do you use same colors for pins?

Back in the 1980's (before the advent of trijicon night sights) the FBI did a study of what color front sight inserts were best in low light. At that time, the standard Smith and Wesson revolver had a white outline rear sight and a red insert front sight. As everyone on here has pointed out, the red is least visible in low light. Amber is better. Green is best. The FBI study also noted that blue was almost as good as green. I'm surprised no one makes a blue one . . . . .
Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: do you use same colors for pins?

You can get blue fiber and it is being used on the target circuit but the ones I looked at didn't seem that bright to me but a blue light on a green pin is awesome.

I don't like lights or real bright pins in low light.They take over the sight picture and make it very hard to see where you are trying to aim.

I have shot many night shoots and have won more than my fare share and people are always surprised that I use no lights and want no one to shine a light on my pins.I just cast a shadow,or rather just look through the dark pin and can see what I am aiming atmuch better.

Just added food for thought.