Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Think I'll climb a tree, tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Think I'll climb a tree, tomorrow.

Maybe there aren't any mature bucks in your woods in the fall from you running them all out in the summer

No wonder why your neighbor shot all those bucks on his one acre or whatever ofproperty that you can't access, you never had the opportunity to run them out of there as well[8D]
Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be in a tree tomorrow as well, I'm building another permanent stand, this one will be deluxe. It will be more like a tree-house than a stand because it will have 2 levels; the main shooting platform will be decked between 3 trees at about 22', but I'm gonna build a lower level at 15' that I can retreat to for getting out of the rain. The ladder will be TV tower, and the seat will be a hinged lidded box that I can keep stuff in.

I agree that the deer will know somethings up, at least this year, but I like comfort because I'm a believer in spending every moment possible out there, the more comfortable I am the better chance that I will stay out there from dusk till dawn.

Heres a pic I took last year sitting in a stand in the middle of the off-season:

Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

your scarin me dude!!
ORIGINAL: early in

Every day!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me that would be like calling to turkeys before the season. NO NO NO NO NO

I am debating wether or not I want to put out trail cams this year. The past few years I have gotten some pics of nice bucks. But only once and then they were never seen again. I am thinking my presence may have disturbed them.I have been hunting these woods for 12 years now and pretty much know the deer patterns. So I may just go by past years experiences and stay out until the season starts. HopefullyCatch them off guard.

I know you hunt the burbs but deer can tell the diff between kids playing and a hunter sneaking around their territory. I hunt a lot in subdivisions too, they know!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree jimbuck, I get in the woods 1 day before season just to cut lanes and and check all my stands.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sitting here right now watching my willow tree 15 feet out the window..waiting on the evening thermals to change..soon as they start down this draw I am gonna hike up to my closest observation stand and glass this evening..most the feeding areas I am watching are at least 200 yards away and several out to 1000 yards..

Last thing I wanna do right now, this early is pester a good buck behind my place..

Cameras.. hang the cameras and pull/check your memory chips right duringa good rain.. most the deer are bedded and the scent is washed away..check em clean as your gonna hunt too...I agree too..dont keep treking back and forth to the site if the deer/old bucksand doesarent gonna tolerate it.. I watch the weather close for the rest of the summer before I am gonna invade a big bucks hang out...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothin wrong with scouting...
Old 06-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Dang guys......you'd think I walked through my honey hole dropping dog hair to mark my trail with.

I went on the outskirts.....where I knew I'd see deer....but not too close to the good spots. I just wanted some photos....and I was going to see if I could get some fawn shots. Lot of does.....no fawns....and the does didn't look like they were still carrying, either. I'm no expert, though.

Saw 12 or so....1 buck who had a little bit of growth. Just sat, full camo...even a face mask....and observed. I took a few shots with the camera....but I left my card reader at my office. I'll post a few photos, Monday. That was a one-time shot. I don't need to go into my woods to scout. They're not that big....and I know the routes. My season is also 3 months away.

Oh yeah....."Suburbs"......lol. I did have a house or two within 200 yds behind me.....but there isn't a building for 300+ acres in front of me.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cool morning Jeff....

Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Dang guys......you'd think I walked through my honey hole dropping dog hair to mark my trail with.
I know, i was kind of suprised at they way people were responding.I go out ALOT in the summer to video and scout. I know my boundaries, i play the wind, and i keep my distance. I dont think im doing anything but increasing my chances at a mature buck as i pattern themfor the early season that way come Sept. 15 i know EXACTLY where i want to be