Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Fawn vs. Doe... Heres A Way To Try To Tell The Difference

Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Fawn vs. Doe... Heres A Way To Try To Tell The Difference

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.I support herd reductions where the habitat is poor and where there's too many deer.Killing mature does is the way to get the herd in line with the habitat.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.I support herd reductions where the habitat is poor and where there's too many deer.Killing mature does is the way to get the herd in line with the habitat.
I'm not saying you're wrong.....I'm just saying that I've spoken on this subject at length with the NC wildlife Biologist assigned to my area. He disagrees with your assessment. The fact is....I have too many does in the herd. I can't risk letting a juvenile doe "pass" in hopes I might get a shot at a mature doe.....and besides....they both have one mouth and the potential to pro-create. He's advised me to NOT be choosy.

He told me to kill EVERY DOE (to a certain number).....and to not be afraid to take does with fawns.I won't do that.....but I will shoot juvenile does (out of spots....and yearlings).
Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're dealing with too many deer and you aren't limited by the number of tags you can get,I agree.Kill as many as you can.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

DougE,

I believe my post said exactly what you are saying.
Low or unestablished herd = don't kill does.
We have plenty of does (too many).
Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iagree and I avoid shooting bb's and female fawns for that matter.I don't alwaysdo it necessarily for management purposes though.I process my own deer and getting 15 lbs oflean,boned meat just seems like a waste of my time for the effort involved.My only point is that guys are kidding themselves if they expect to to have more future bucks by passing on a bb and then turning around and wacking a big mature doe.Either way,you're killing a future buck because chances are,that mature doe was probably pregnant or soon to be pregnant withat least onebb.

If you have too many,try and kill a mature doe but there's no real reason to pass on a fawn unless you're limitedby only being able to take one or two antlerless deer.I just always get a kick out of guys that consider it a sin to shoot a bb but they have no problems killing a mature doe.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

DougE,

I do consider it a sin to kill a bb. Last year I did it and was very upset with myself. Part of it is just a failure to stick with the plan and properly judge the deer. If you have a plan you should do your best to follow it. We try to kill does, but no bucks till they are mature, its that simple.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 PM

my only solution to this problem is to watch them, and see if they take a leak. if they dont, then they get to walk.