Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to age deer? Can you do it effectively? I Just Don't Care?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to age deer? Can you do it effectively? I Just Don't Care?

Little poll and some helpful pictures on how toidentify different age classes of whitetail deer.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2155212
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to age deer? Can you do it effectively? I Just Don't Care?

Honestly, as far as I am concerned, it is very difficult to age a deer exactly, even with the jaw bone. Depending on diet, the teeth can wear differently, and so a 4 year old in lush farm country has the teeth of a 2 or 3 year old in harsh country. The black strips on the teeth are the best indicators to me, but I am no expert. The belly sag thing for on hoof is a good indicator, but again, it really is a guess on hoof of +/-1 year IMO.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Also....after 3 to 4.5.....I couldn't hazard a guess.I haven't had much experience with deer that age (almost none).....and it absolutely makes me laugh when I see the guys on TV saying their deer is a 6.5 yr old when they're posing for photos with it (assuming they don't have trail cam photos of the deer from day 1).

I also find it mildly amusing when people are trying to educate me RE: deer and they refer to "horns".
Old 06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know, some of these high class hunters on TV will say horns instead of antlers and sometimes it just makes me wonder if they are all that experienced.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aging deer is an art but the average hunter only needs to know what a yearling buck and a 2 1/2 year old looks like because they'll shoot anythinglarger on sight. I just wish more folks would learn to identify atleast immature bucks and learn to pass on 'em.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is an interesting post to watch the development of that buck. The 7 year old picture really shows decline with the loose neck skin and swayed back. With older deer so rare where I hunt I don't even try to age. I go with "shooter" or "not a shooter."
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am getting better at it but had an embarrasing and frustrating kill last year.

When it is getting dark and the deer is by itself and it is a quick rifle shot, it is easier said than done. I mixed up a yearling buck for a doe (trying to take out some does and thought it was a second year doe).

I'm learning and am going to do what it takes not to repeat that (including not shooting unless I am sure).

I think a lot of people will have to learn from mistakes or kills when they are young b/c looking at pictures doesn't always help when your out there in the heat of the moment.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Honestly, as far as I am concerned, it is very difficult to age a deer exactly, even with the jaw bone. Depending on diet, the teeth can wear differently, and so a 4 year old in lush farm country has the teeth of a 2 or 3 year old in harsh country. The black strips on the teeth are the best indicators to me, but I am no expert. The belly sag thing for on hoof is a good indicator, but again, it really is a guess on hoof of +/-1 year IMO.
Good point. Where I hunt in the UP, there are some potato fields in the area, and the deer that grow up eating taters need dentures by 2 because of all the sand. Very tough to age deer in my opinion, and not something I claim to have any expertise at.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM

theres a big difrence from 2-3 years so thats what i worry about
Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Good thread.

A couple of years ago I quit trying to put a number on the deer. What I mean is, I don't call a certain deer 1 1/2 years old, or 3 1/2 years old. Now days,the deer is either mature (3 years old or order) or immature (less than 3). This system works for me.

Quick Reply: How to age deer? Can you do it effectively? I Just Don't Care?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.