Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chigger relief

Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default chigger relief

Just thought I would share this little tip. Last night while being driven crazy by the bumps all over my ankles, I was digging through the medicine chest looking for something, anything that would offer some relief. I came across a tube of Preparation H. I thought, "Why not, Its for swelling and itching?". I was quickly and pleasantly surprised by the relief. It kept me itch free all night and I reapplied while getting ready for work this AM. Still no itching. I think I may just write a Hint for Heloise!
EDIT: I put the Prep H on my ankles you wise guys! LOL!!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: chigger relief

Hmmmm. That is interesting; thanks!! Don't have the "other" problem yet that requires that medication, but I might get some for that. Chiggers are terrible here every year no matter what. I have been using Absorbine JR. on them with good results, but you get pretty strange looks in public if you wear that perfume around.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Boys I have the hot setup.

Stop by the drug store and get some RIT (it is the stuff for head lice)

AsSOONas you get back from the woods from the woods dump 1/2 a bottle in some hot bath water and hop in. Kills the little rascals right now.

I have also started mixing a jug water/rit in a spray bottle.

I spray it around by belt, ankles and wrist before I head into the woods and before I get back in the truck.

You are not bullet proof - BUT - you are close.

It actually takes the rascals a while to chew a hole in you- So get em quick

Leo
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used Chigger-Ex (lidocaine) successfully before. Like Snood, luckily don't have to keep any Prep H. around the house (at least not yet).

Wonder if Noxema would work. Used to use that on bad sunburn and it hurt so good.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

And just think tx, no more swollen ankles either. Although if you continue repeated use your socks may start falling down and your shoes may not fit so well. LOL

By the way, great tip. Just don't get it mixed up with your toothpaste. Man you won't even be able to whistle for a week.

LT
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

By the way, great tip. Just don't get it mixed up with your toothpaste. Man you won't even be able to whistle for a week.

LT
Man I hope you don't know that first hand! LOL!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uh, no, uh not me. Noooo not me.[:'(]

LT
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys another tip. I bought one of those "After Bite" sticks. They are an insect bite relief product about the size of a pen. They are available at drug stores, Wal-Mart, etc. It worked pretty good and at $6.95 I thought it should. I noticed it smelled like ammonia so I checked the list of ingredients, 98% ammonia, 2% inert ingredients. So I bought a 1/2 gallon of ammonia for $.97. It works really good. swab it on with a cotton ball. It will burn a bit and then sweet relief. Seems to dry the bumps out and makes them go away pretty fast.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can also just take a Benadryl.You are having an allergic reaction to a bug bite and Benadryl works great.

This time of year,by the time you start to itch,the chigger or chigger larvae is gone and you are left with a bug bite that itches like crazy.

The best bet is to wash down immediately after being in the weeds.

I use a Benadryl/hydrocortizone cream during the day and take a Benadryl at night.Best relief I have found and in 3 days the reaction is done and I am fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I came across a tube of Preparation H.

I want to know why you had the tube in the first place[8D]

And dont go blaming Carrie either

Quick Reply: chigger relief

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.