Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a buck

Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Earn a buck

i live in wisconsin and where i hunt is in earn a buck. (have to shoot a doe before a buck) i was just wondering your opinions on this topic...personally i hate it....?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Earn a buck

hate it! hate it! hate it![:@]
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Stupid rule... but done with a good thought and purpose in mind... to reduce the baby factory in over populated areas. If you have more than one doe permit... fill one out and send it in the first day.[8D] It's really become a rule because many people refuse to shoot a doe... or at least did dig in their heels for years. I think at the time most of the "Earn a BUck" laws were put in it was probably needed. I think we're past that in hunting now. I don't know people who won't shoot a doe anymore.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesnt work, to many loop holes.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

In area's where the ratio's are way out of whack it makes a lot of sense to me,for a lot of reasons.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:16 PM

i really wish we would go to that here. Too many guys taking really young bucks just to say that they killed a buck while thedoe pops are exploding. We get 2 either sex tags and a doe tag, 95% of the people take 2 bucks and a doe rather than vice versa or 3 does. To me it just doesn't make sense to me why some hunters in my area would take a basket buck over a doe. Having them take a doe first will probably not stop them from taking young bucks butby having themtake a doe down alsowill balance it out a bit more. They do this down in the south on the cwd hunt and you must turn in the head of the doe with tag attatched so no gettin around it easily.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

i really wish we would go to that here. Too many guys taking really young bucks just to say that they killed a buck while thedoe pops are exploding. We get 2 either sex tags and a doe tag, 95% of the people take 2 bucks and a doe rather than vice versa or 3 does. To me it just doesn't make sense to me why some hunters in my area would take a basket buck over a doe. Having them take a doe first will probably not stop them from taking young bucks butby having themtake a doe down alsowill balance it out a bit more. They do this down in the south on the cwd hunt and you must turn in the head of the doe with tag attatched so no gettin around it easily.
I agree. We need a way of taking some does here too. I honestly wish we could take does throughout the year but it's only during archery, a week in muzzleloader, and juvenile hunts. Something needs to be done, the buck to doe ratio is crazy because we can't seem to put restrictions or kill more does. Who knows.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eastern NC could use this rule - big time.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it...or at least I like the concept.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

I also live in Wisc. Southern Wisconsin where we had earn a buck and at first I wasn't fond of it, but in the second year I began to see bigger bucks as result of it.So I actually like it.Last year they had earn a buck during certain periods and no earn a buck at other times which just was more confusing. I hope this year they resort to earn a buck for the whole season and allow no bucks to be taken in the four day October gun season.
The problem with earn a buck was people would take a road killed doe into register it as a bow kill for the buck tag. And registration stations would allow a doe to be registered numerous times by different hunters to each get a buck tag. This I have no proof of, but heard the stories. BUT, what I do know is that I killed a doe, took it to a registration station which happened to be a bar, I filled out the paperwork inside, they handed me the tag and I was off. Not once did anyone see the deer and I could have very well registered the deer once more or give it to a buddy to register for his buck tag. But I didn't.

Dan

Quick Reply: Earn a buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.