Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a buck

Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Earn a buck

There does need to be more Does taken in most areas, but I am not sure what the answer is. Whatever the DNR attempts to get a higher Doe kill, Hunters usually don't like it
Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to take a doe in the first couple days of the season every year. I then start buck hunting, but this year there is only one weekend before muzzleloading season. I may have to change my plans.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 AM

I'm a farmer, hunter, and a butcher in the great state of NJ. We've had EAB for several years now. It's a great management tool if used the way it was intended. However, here's some of the problems. In NJ a button buck (antlerless deer) will count as a doe and fill your EAB requirement. Rediculous but true. So what happens, alot of guys will shoot a BB over a pile of corn and now there good to go on a buck. Defeats the whole purpose. When EAB first started every road kill doe or BB was being checked in. Not only being checked in once but multiple times, by multiple people. Here's how it works. Someone picks up a road kill or actually shoots an antlerless deer, checks it in, then calls his buddy, throws it in the back of his truck and back to check station it goes. Now his buddy's good to go. The F&G got wise to this so they started marking the hind quarter with a black X, but that easily wiped off. So now they put the metal possesion seal through the ear. So now that deer has a cut in the ear signifying it has been checked in. But if the person working at the check station doesn't feel like walking out to the truck and cutting the ear for the tag, who knows what's going to happen.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

In a state like mine where the herd is expanding and already a bit overpopulated it makes sense to have EAB, and it's our responsibiity as a vital part of our state's game management program to help where needed to maintain a healthy herd. Hunting is a privelege, and priveleges are earned, not automatic.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I like the EAB rule. I wish they would implement it here in MN.But as a few others have stated, there needs to be some stricter enforcement, espescially at the registration areas.These Deer need to be inspected, and the taking of B.B.'s needs to be eliminated.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where I live in SE Pa, WMU 5-D,they just added four more weeks (antlerless deer) to the already liberal seasonwhere you can take unlimited does. I think EAB would help the over population / buck to doe ratio andallow bucks a better chance at maturing!