Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a buck

Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Earn a buck

I agree GMMAT....but like most threads, it went from shooting a doe, to passing on young bucks in the blink of an eye.
I know. It's inevitable. It sometimes seems that most all threads head that way....especially this time of year.

have a great weekend, BBM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Earn a buck sucks when you have that monster walk out on opening morning and you don't have a doe. BUT earn a buck is most likely the reason you are able to see monster bucks. I have seen it put into practice first hand in NJ and I can tell you that it works. Last season the no. 2 biggest buck in state history was taken from public land, and then surpassed by another buck in the same season. When I started hunting there 6 years ago there were a lot of 120" and lowerbucks being shot. Earn a buck has contributed to this improvement.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mtfreezer
The only problem I see with this is if you see "the monster" 10 minutes into the season and you can't take him cause you haven't killed a doe yet. I would change it to having to take a doe (or doe depending on the buck/doe ratio) the previous year to be able to get a buck tag for the coming season. This would allow hunters to be able to kill a buck every year as long as they took a doe the previous year.
That is what I think as well. The problem I see is that thinking a big "buck of a lifetime" might come out some guys take REAL bad shots at does just hoping to get it so they can have a buck tag. WAY too many poor shots taken and the result is wounded deer. Take the entire year to get a doe or two with good clean shots to earn your buck tag(s) for next year is a much better way to do it.

I have also seen the taking in of road kill. Where I go they cut the ear of the doe so that others know it has already been registered. Problem is not every station will check for that or even do it.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

From a guy that calls himself "buttonbuckmaster" I wouldn'texactly expect a strong support of ANY restrictions. []

I never said that it should be mandated in IL but in certain areas it probably woud be a good idea though. I know we personally try to take atleast 4 or 5 Does for every buck harvested on our own properties. I think overall, most landowners I know here in west-central IL do a great job of keeping Doe numbers in check but it's certainly not like that everywhere.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

From a guy that calls himself "buttonbuckmaster" I wouldn'texactly expect a strong support of ANY restrictions. []
Ouch
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

This reminds me of...

"better to have it and not need it - than to need it and not have it..."

I wish that were the case in VA...

Stupid redneck hunter' "I sat there and watched 35 starving doe pass by before seeing that one little forkhorn... But I kilt that sumbich... I don't shoot doe..."
Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need for it here in PA. These guys just shoot at every deer they see anyway - willy nilly wanton gunfire. If it weren't for the residential areas where the deer can hide and be relatively safe and unmolested, I don't know if we'd have any stinkin' deer left.

These guys will shoot a fawn right off the tit, wipe the milk off it's face, and take it to the taxidermist for a full body mount.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am on the fence on this. There is certainly a need ot reduce the does where I hunt, but having to shoot a doe first just does not make sense. I like the idea of having to shoot a doe before a second Buck can be taken. That makes a little more sense to me.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

No need for it here in PA. These guys just shoot at every deer they see anyway - willy nilly wanton gunfire. If it weren't for the residential areas where the deer can hide and be relatively safe and unmolested, I don't know if we'd have any stinkin' deer left.

These guys will shoot a fawn right off the tit, wipe the milk off it's face, and take it to the taxidermist for a full body mount.
Reminds me of an old joke:

From PA Hunter's Handbook: "No shooting at random."

Redneck PA hunter, "Who the heck is Random and why can't we shoot 'im?"
Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Seeing a monster without having your doe down yet does suck i agree. I had it happen to me on a cwd mulie hunt down southwhen we saw a group of 2 180 plus bucks hangin together but no buck tag yet, hurts a bit but you know you are still doing the right thing. For us here does are not difficult to kill at all,they could be taken with a hammer if it were legal so i do not think anyone would have much difficulty filling a doe tag within the first hour of the season. I guess it is different for everyone as we live in different areas and have different deer ratios.

Quick Reply: Earn a buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.