Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a buck

Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 AM

Default RE: Earn a buck

Exactly. Hopefully, most would be honest. But there is so much room for people to not be. I've never had anyone nor my friends have anyone come out to their truck to even see if they had a deer at the registration stations, usually a gas station or surplus store.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Eastern NC could use this rule - big time.
So could Western NC. But....we'd have to change our check-in procedure. If a hunter is taxed with the responsibility to take his kill to a check station....I don't see how the rule could be taken advantage of.

I'd be ALL for it, here. We need to get the pops into a manageable number. I think the mindset amongst hunters is changing....but this wouldn't hurt a thing in my eyes.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any system can be abused. What about computerized check -in or by phone? You could pretend to have killed a doe. Most people are honest.The tags and check ins are for research purposes and not an enforcement procedure.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have had that rule here in NJ for a few years now and i personally like it alot. THat along with the 3 points on one side rule has made our hunting alot better. I personally try to take ATLEAST one doe for every buck that i take and make anyone that hunts my property do the same. Taking does makes the bucks bigger and it also makes them more active looking for the does that are left. Only positives in my book.
Now for the negatives, which arent really negatives in my book, but ways around the system. Most of the check in stations around here dont do much other than look at the deer real quick and pat you on the back. That being said i know alot of people refuse to shoot does around here saying it will hurt the hunting, and to get around the rule they simple pick up the first road kill doe that they see or simply dont check their deer. I dont agree with it at all, but it happens.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea, but not sure about it.

Maryland has something a little better i think... Your allowed 2 bucks and pretty much unlimited does in my area.
(Remarkably its that way for each weapon, so I could kill six bucks, 30 does, before buying any bonus tag, and you can get unlimited bonus tags)

Anyway, you can kill a buck first, but you have to kill 2 does before you can kill your second buck.

Thats why this year I plan on killin my two does on opening morning (Even if they are still on the teet...[8D]GMMAT).

Cause I hunt 3-4 different farms and If i get my two does outta the way I can concentrate on the bone!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

i really wish we would go to that here. Too many guys taking really young bucks just to say that they killed a buck while thedoe pops are exploding.
I agree and see the "earn a buck" program as a much needed step in many areas.If you can't educate sportsman to practice QDM than we must legistate them into it. It seems that far to many folks would rather have that yearling buck to brag about.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

The only problem I see with this is if you see "the monster" 10 minutes into the season and you can't take him cause you haven't killed a doe yet. I would change it to having to take a doe (or 2 does depending on the buck/doe ratio) the previous year to be able to get a buck tag for the coming season. This would allow hunters to be able to kill a buck every year as long as they took a doe the previous year.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

If you can't educate sportsman to practice QDM than we must legistate them into it.
Who is we? Thats the part of QDM I don't like, people like you try to tell others what they can and can't shoot. I agree with shooting does, but to make it mandatory in IL isn't needed IMO.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

BB...

If it isn't needed in IL.....I don't think anyone here is suggesting it be mandated.

Let's just say that .....in the states it IS mandatory.....there's likely a valid reason.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree GMMAT....but like most threads, it went from shooting a doe, to passing on young bucks in the blink of an eye.

Quick Reply: Earn a buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.