Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Bows: What to expect?

Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 Bows: What to expect?

I think it will mostly be improvements, upgrades, and fixes of minor hiccups with this years models. There were a lot of drastic changes in bow technology last year...and typically it seems that big changes tend to come in 2-3 or even as much as 4 year increments. The new changes in the meantime are mostly add ons to what they have out already.

I think that you will start to see more bows with a carbon rod/STS/ or if MeanV desides to quit his day job or go big league a CSS installed stock from the factory. May well see bows get a few FPS faster...there will be a few changes in alignments with string companies and what not. Mathews will offer the Drenalin "Challenge". Stuff like that.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see the SIMS product sticking around for long. From what I have heard they aren't giving protected dealer territories and never has a bow company been "successful" without taking care of their dealer base. That was the demise of PSE, High Country, etc..........I am sure SIMS will advertise the heck out of it, and they havea goodmarketing/rep group behind it(at least on the east coast) but if they don't pick good dealers and take care of those dealers they will only be in box stores or ordered one at a time from distribution.

I know of at least one and probably 2 compound bows that will not have the cams located at the ends of the limbs that will have some VERY unique designs.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know....

I can tell you this will likely be the first year since I started bowhunting that I won't buy a new bow (lol....2 years bowhunting).

I see my Allegiance in my hands until: 1) They make a better bow or 2) my son can shoot the one I have, now.

Then....I'll likely join my older breteren and order a 60# Guardian. I'm guessing 2009 model .
Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

One of the reasons I decided against the Guardian was thinking about it like a first year model car. Is it a great bow for sure, but it is the first one to use the pivot technology and the first year at that. Sure enough there were some very early minor problems which have apparently been fixed. But my thinking was that my next bow in 2-3 years will probably be an improved pivot technology bow.

I wonder what the patent situation is b/c I know the Guardian has been very successful and success always breeds copies.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard rumblings of High Country going back to the well and re-releasing an updated version of either the Excalibur and/or the Supreme. Based on their '07 models, their '08 line will be interesting.

Also heard that this Sims bow is gonna raise some eyebrows.

I'd look for at least one of the big 3 to release a 3 grain-per-pound bow in 2008 or 2009. The arrow technology is there to push the 400 mark.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe companies will continue to improve in the efficiency department. I'd like to see a bow break the 90% efficiency barrier. This will mean more speed, quieter, and less hand shock.

Some non-standard bows will come out (Sims bow). I've seen the patent drawings for that bow and it is strange (no externally visible limbs or cams). Bow companies like Monster bows may see a jump in interest.

I'm sure the speed bow club will be satisfied with even speedier bows next year as well. I don't know that the 400 fps goal will be reached, but I could see bows in the 375 fps range.

There will be something for everyone.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bry - this is all I could find on a patent search for Sims. Patent issued 2006. Limbless bow.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Ph19AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract& zoom=4&dq=%22steven+c.+sims%22

Looks like Steven C. Sims holds over 20 patents - almost all of which are for vibration dampeners. He has one bow patent, the one listed above. At least that's what I got on google patent search.

Odd looking bow, that's for sure. No limbs, looks like a giant riser with cams on each end.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a hand-me-down, left handed, High Country, but shoot it right handed. I have no idea how old it is, and don't care. It shoots straight and I've taken some nice deer with it. I didn't even know that it was a left handed bow until a year after I started hunting with it...

I'll shoot it until it won't shoot anymore and then I'm thinking long bow, maybe...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Bry - this is all I could find on a patent search for Sims. Patent issued 2006. Limbless bow.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Ph19AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract& zoom=4&dq=%22steven+c.+sims%22

Looks like Steven C. Sims holds over 20 patents - almost all of which are for vibration dampeners. He has one bow patent, the one listed above. At least that's what I got on google patent search.

Odd looking bow, that's for sure. No limbs, looks like a giant riser with cams on each end.
That's it. I see that my post states that the cams aren't visible. I meant that the cams attachment to the limbs is not externally visible. The bow does have limbs, but they are inside the riser arms.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I predict they will cost more.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bows: What to expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.