Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How good should we be?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How good should we be?

The other thread got me thinking….yea dangerous I know.

You have guys who rarely if ever shoot anything because they are “waiting” on the right buck or the big buck. Are they setting their standards too high? Or are they making up BS cause they haven’t gotten anything? Does it make them feel like they are “better” than others and not getting one is ok, when “you hold out for one as big as they do”? Do you think new guys should set high standards, or should they shoot a few things to get experience?

Then on the other hand you’ve got guys who drop bucks every season. Big difference if they are dropping 140’s each year, or 80’s? If you reach a point of shooting one every year, should you keep raising the bar? What if you are shooting the top 1% class of buck for your area? Do you find a ‘better’ area?

So do you think there is a level of success rate ”as defined by a dead deer” that balances out?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How good should we be?

Simple...it should only be judged from the hunter themselves. If they are happy taking 1 1/2 year old bucks every year....let them. If someone holds out for a 140+ buck and fills his tag 1 out of every 5-10 years....let them.

No one should be judging anyone but themselves. As long as your proud of your kill, then you did good. If you are disappointed after you shot a buck...then you should be disappointed in yourself.

Like I said....pretty simple.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Great questions, Rybo.

Do you think new guys should set high standards, or should they shoot a few things to get experience?
To any new guys.....without a bow deer under your belt.....MY advice is to drop something. Drop "A" deer. Doe....whatever......but drop a deer. If I'd done this when I started, I likely woudn't have been so shook up when I did finally get a chance at a deer I REALLY wanted. I was not prepared when the time came on the deer I'd chosen to be my first. I wish I'd dropped one way before that.

Then on the other hand you’ve got guys who drop bucks every season. Big difference if they are dropping 140’s each year, or 80’s? If you reach a point of shooting one every year, should you keep raising the bar?
Personal preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach. Hunt and have fun.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have guys who rarely if ever shoot anything because they are “waiting” on the right buck or the big buck. Are they setting their standards too high? Or are they making up BS cause they haven’t gotten anything? Does it make them feel like they are “better” than others and not getting one is ok, when “you hold out for one as big as they do”? Do you think new guys should set high standards, or should they shoot a few things to get experience?

I think new guys need to get a few under the belt first. There is a lot that has to be learned that can be learned by simply shooting a deer with a bow. Plus, it is supposed to be fun.

Then on the other hand you’ve got guys who drop bucks every season. Big difference if they are dropping 140’s each year, or 80’s? If you reach a point of shooting one every year, should you keep raising the bar? What if you are shooting the top 1% class of buck for your area? Do you find a ‘better’ area?

That to me all depends on the hunter. I am content hunting what my area offers and fell little if any need to change locations for a bigger buck. I will hunt other states or locations but my main hunting will continue to be where it has always been. The deer are not huge, but there are opportunities to kill a mature buck if you approach it the right way and that is all I need......
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Rybo....

To expound on why I think new hunters (or...those who haven't experinced their first bowkill) should put a deer on the ground sooner...rather than later......

I "used" to think I was "passing" on a lot of deer. Now....looking back.....That was extremely arrogant and ignorant on my part. I was no more "passing" on those deer than I was pitching for the Yankees. When it comes right down to it.....I don't know how many deer we let "pass"....or how many we just choose not to chance blowing it on .

I'm gonna find out, this year!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM

You have to find satisfaction and then contentment. Without it you will go crazy and be unhappy. Hunting is no exception.

I still get very juiced when I see deer, turkey, or whatever I am hunting. Shooting a doe or any other deer fires me up big time. I try to remember where they came from, what they are here for, and Thank God for them.

I personally get a bit emotional when I walk up to the animal I have killed. I appreciate the animals andgetting to do it that much. I cannot wait until my little girl takes her first deer. I will cry like a baby.

Good question.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually try to improve or meet the bar I had set previously. That way I know the size deer I am after exist and that I can take them, but that it won't be something that I wish I hadn't done after the fact. If I go through a dry spell I'll lower my standards to get the monkey off my back, but this mentality has worked pretty well for me thus far.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Totally agree with GMMAT,

Also, I think a young kid taking a big buck as his first deer can lead to some serious expectation problems. I've seen it myself.

Remember also that in lots of places that have antler restrictions, the choice to pass bucks is not really a choice.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question Rybo. I find myself saying every year that I am waiting on a "good one". I can't put my finger on a certain sized, aged, or score of the buck I want. I just know it when I see it. Last year I passed on a deer that I very soon regretted not shooting. I took a "larger" deer (body size) about a week later, but due to having a messed up rack, didn't score nearly as well. When the buck that I shot walked in, I knew he was what I was looking for.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hope I never get there

Quick Reply: How good should we be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.