Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How good should we be?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How good should we be?

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The other thread got me thinking….yea dangerous I know.

You have guys who rarely if ever shoot anything because they are “waiting” on the right buck or the big buck. Are they setting their standards too high? Or are they making up BS cause they haven’t gotten anything? Does it make them feel like they are “better” than others and not getting one is ok, when “you hold out for one as big as they do”? Do you think new guys should set high standards, or should they shoot a few things to get experience?

Then on the other hand you’ve got guys who drop bucks every season. Big difference if they are dropping 140’s each year, or 80’s? If you reach a point of shooting one every year, should you keep raising the bar? What if you are shooting the top 1% class of buck for your area? Do you find a ‘better’ area?

So do you think there is a level of success rate ”as defined by a dead deer” that balances out?
I will answer your question with another one. Why do so many people think that hunting is always a competition between hunters? If someone hunts because they are worried about other people, then I feel sorry for them.

I wonder the same thing Gus, why must it be a contest or bet for some! I thought I was into the contest thing, joined a couple but found out quickly its not for me! Shoot what "you" want, when "you" want and if "you" want! I hunt for me! I'm proud of every animal I have ever killed, I consider them ALL trophies in "my book"! I go to the woods to forget about the everyday life, phones, work, internet, traffic and all life's problems! These are the LAST things I think about while on stand!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

wonder the same thing Gus, why must it be a contest or bet for some! I thought I was into the contest thing, joined a couple but found out quickly its not for me! Shoot what "you" want, when "you" want and if "you" want! I hunt for me! I'm proud of every animal I have ever killed, I consider them ALL trophies in "my book"! I go to the woods to forget about the everyday life, phones, work, internet, traffic and all life's problems! These are the LAST things I think about while on stand!
Me, too.....but I still entered the deer hunting contest. I didn't have to change a thing, either. I think there's a LOT of people who did the same thing.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that ended up coming out wrong. I included that because I knew a guy (and a couple others to a lesser extent) that was a self proclaimed expert, although he'd never shot a buck with a bow before. Couple does here and there. Spouted off how he's passed on more bigger bucks...blah blah blah, yet he never shot anything. And if he was as good as he claimed, size limit or not, he should have either shot something or shut up. So that's all I was trying to get at.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

...blah blah blah, yet he never shot anything. And if he was as good as he claimed, size limit or not, he should have either shot something or shut up.
those are the same guys calling you "lucky" Ryan behind your back when you consistently kill the better bucks in PA's woods.. they'll never change..excuses and a/holes..we all know that liner...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed enough deer at this point in time where I will only shoot a buck that is bigger than my previous best. If that means not getting a buck, so be it. I will shoot a doe or two for meat. I'm well past the point of having to proveanything to anyone.I love this stuff!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive been through stage 1 and 3 is what i am in right now starting to move into stage 4 a lil bit each year. I will never be about number for me id rather watch a deer than shoot it for the most part now its just the thrill of wating for a buck you like to come along. I shot two deer last year neither real real big but i was happy with them and thats all that matters i was more happy though that i had patterend both deer to put myself in a position to shoot but my best momnet last year was watching a nice 8 point bigger than both deer i took walk right by my climber on a sunday from my porch. I finally get it do your homework and it pays off.

As someone has already said i hope that i never get to a point where i set my standereds to high.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I usually try to improve or meet the bar I had set previously. That way I know the size deer I am after exist and that I can take them, but that it won't be something that I wish I hadn't done after the fact. If I go through a dry spell I'll lower my standards to get the monkey off my back, but this mentality has worked pretty well for me thus far.
That is my thoughts, I agree totally.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

wonder the same thing Gus, why must it be a contest or bet for some! I thought I was into the contest thing, joined a couple but found out quickly its not for me! Shoot what "you" want, when "you" want and if "you" want! I hunt for me! I'm proud of every animal I have ever killed, I consider them ALL trophies in "my book"! I go to the woods to forget about the everyday life, phones, work, internet, traffic and all life's problems! These are the LAST things I think about while on stand!
Me, too.....but I still entered the deer hunting contest. I didn't have to change a thing, either. I think there's a LOT of people who did the same thing.

I still wonder if in the back of your mind are you still thinking if this deer is going to put us or me over the top, or if this deer won't win the contest/bet??? Is that going to sway you to try to shoot or not to try to shoot???

I do understand people do hunt for different reasons... some for the hunting itself, some for the antlers, some for the meat and some even for the contest!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I still wonder if in the back of your mind are you still thinking if this deer is going to put us or me over the top, or if this deer won't win the contest/bet??? Is that going to sway you to try to shoot or not to try to shoot???

I do understand people do hunt for different reasons... some for the hunting itself, some for the antlers, some for the meat and some even for the contest!
I hunt for me bottom line. The only contest I get into is HNI's. If winning a contest was my main drive, I would be 3 for 3. I am 1 for 3 because I didn'tput an arrow in"any " buck for sake of the contest.Granted I will do mybest to put a big buck down but it isn't for the contest. It isn't for bragging rights. It is for me!! The HNI Contest is a blast though. You get to see how other's huntsare going from all over this great country of our'swhere you would not otherwise. You get to know 9 people a littlebetter or at least the ones who post. It is basically a fun contest.

Hunting is a time to get away from the other pressures of life. It is a great enjoyment at many different levels for everyone. Hunting is who we are.Your reasons for hunting are about the same as mine from reading your posts.When my hunting is based on pleasing othersand notpleasing myself... I wouldquit. I only hunt for me.

Tim
Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm happy shooting what I "want" to shoot. I personally think deer hunting shouldn't always be about size and more about making yourself happy. If you're happy with a spike, then go for it. If you are just hunting to say you kill huge bucks and always worry about what "number" a buck is then I would reconsider. However, there is a difference in wanting to shoot just BIG deer and MATURE deer. I PERSONALLY would get more fulfillment shooting a MATURE deer, which doesn't always mean the biggest. I could be wrong but the buck GMMAT is after isn't neccessarily the biggest in his woods but he wants him because he's a MATURE animal. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: How good should we be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.