Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many guys....

Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many guys....

That's not to say that the other guy isn't hunting or hunting hard, but to find a 3.5 year old on public land in PA and take him is truly a feat to be proud of because that is one educated and cagey deer.
Or....he was running from one yahoo....and ran into another, haphazardly. Hardly makes the second yahoo Fred Bear.

Generalizations work both ways.....and too many times we think "our" circumstances are like everyone else's.

In all honesty.....I don't have a clue where the nearest "public" hunting land is. I don't know what it's called......and I know no one who hunts "public" land. Where I live....no one even speaks about it. If you told me I could have all the public land in my county to myself.....I wouldn't know where to drive to scout. Ditto my state!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That's not to say that the other guy isn't hunting or hunting hard, but to find a 3.5 year old on public land in PA and take him is truly a feat to be proud of because that is one educated and cagey deer.
Or....he was running from one yahoo....and ran into another, haphazardly. Hardly makes the second yahoo Fred Bear.

Generalizations work both ways.
Very true, but I was referring to bowhunting and that is usually not the case. Pressure during bow season doesn't really have the deer running for their lives, usually slipping away unseen. Gun season absolutely! A whole lot of luck going on there, that and good snap shooting.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: W.T.F.

I had no idea Kansas deer population was that low, I always just figured you guys had tons of them because you always here about the bruisers from KS. I guess the size doesnt have a whole lot to do with the numbers of deer.

but I agree with what most are saying size is not an excuse, neither is geographic region. you have to know your deer and if your not seeing the big boy that your after then its time to rethink your strategy and setup. I on the other hand just simply blew a 25 yard broadside shot at a nice 8 point no excuses just bad shot. I hope he visits my stand this year because I wont make that bad shot again
You will get him. If nothing else just the law of averages will be on your side. How's the Hog Meat?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the buck you are after spends a morning chasing a doe around your stand but never stops or even slows down enough in a spot where you can shoot him, how is that a failure of yours? I would personally chalk the experience up as a success with some bad luck mixed in.
"Failure" to some degree because I have had two months prior to the rut to kill him..starting in late August....well before the rut ever kicked in or drug him away due tothe lure of a doe. The rut is my least favorite time to hunt a particular buck for obvious reasons. Now hunting deer or for mature bucks...not a specific buck..the rut is great.

I do agree that during the rut if you have a particular buck staked out so well as to know what doe group he will be tending too, (older bucks havetheir routes) you know him very well and your successful in just putting yourself in the right doe family travel areas...a guy gets about 2-4 days to kill him andbeforehe'll finish up business andmost likely be gonetargeting another doe family. Thats what I've experienced out in my neck of the woods anyway.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's good to see that some of you guys can see what I am getting at [8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the buck you are after spends a morning chasing a doe around your stand but never stops or even slows down enough in a spot where you can shoot him, how is that a failure of yours? I would personally chalk the experience up as a success with some bad luck mixed in.
Just because you failed at filling your tag by no means your season was not a success.

In my situation....I can only say that if I don't kill a mature buck this year.....it'll be because he isn't there.....or he doesn't offer me the opportunity. I'll be out there.

I have set a personal standard that I will adhere to. If I come up at the end of the season.....and haven't filled a buck tag.....you can rest assured that the deer din't show up. Like I said.....I'll be out there....doing what it takes (both pre-season work and spending time on stand).

I hope to not have to make such a statement.
Two more excuses Jeff they are there, you just have to find them.

If the buck you are after spends a morning chasing a doe around your stand but never stops or even slows down enough in a spot where you can shoot him, how is that a failure of yours?
Who's fault is it if there is a stiff breeze blowing to the outfield and a pitcher gives up a homerun to a hit that in normal weather wouldn't have made it to the warning track?

The pitchers!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM

what about those of us who dont have those huge parcels of land to hunt?? this last season i had access to a 20 acre square of woods. one side had a creek, other side cattle pasture. third side parkway, other side contiuned as woods. can you honestly tell me that it is my fault i didnt kill a buck up to my standards this past year? i couldnt drive, so hunting elsewhere wasnt really an option either.

ill have my license in two weeks so hopefully this next year it wont be from a lack of quality hunting ground.

i do agree that if you have a good place to hunt, there is no excuse to not get a buck or shot at a buck. just gotta put in your time.

i just think there are tooooo many variables to sum up all unfilled tags as you screwing up and not findin a buck of your likings. sometimes it just dont work out.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I am trying to say is if youdidn't shoot an animal above your "personal standards" it is because you didn't put yourself in a position to succeed.
I've been in the "right position" many MANY times, it's just that the buck of my dreams wasn't at that "position" atthe same time![8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

It's good to see that some of you guys can see what I am getting at [8D]
I see what where your coming from now too. I did put myself on bucks, but not the ones I wanted to be on. But now I'm running out of excuses, ummm... the weather was warm and all the bucks were nocturnal, or I think the area was overhunted or.....[8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

what about those of us who dont have those huge parcels of land to hunt?? this last season i had access to a 20 acre square of woods. one side had a creek, other side cattle pasture. third side parkway, other side contiuned as woods. can you honestly tell me that it is my fault i didnt kill a buck up to my standards this past year? i couldnt drive, so hunting elsewhere wasnt really an option either.

ill have my license in two weeks so hopefully this next year it wont be from a lack of quality hunting ground.

i do agree that if you have a good place to hunt, there is no excuse to not get a buck or shot at a buck. just gotta put in your time.

i just think there are tooooo many variables to sum up all unfilled tags as you screwing up and not findin a buck of your likings. sometimes it just dont work out.
If you are up against a wall with your situation, lower your standards. Or do what it takes to find areas that hold deer to meet them.

Quick Reply: How many guys....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.