Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you practice and how much?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Default How do you practice and how much?

I was curious how others practice shooting and how much they shoot? I ask as I am really pretty limited in how often and how long I can shoot, due to family man responsibilities and house projects, and curious if others had suggestions for how best to use my limited time?
I still try to get out to shoot 3-4 times a week. I am shooting between 10 and 25 arrows a session and currently just shooting field tips out of the stand I have set up in a tree in the back yard about 16-17' up to a range about 24 yards. I am trying to focus on proper form, trigger squeeze and being patient from a more hunting situation set-up. I will likely not see a shot past 20 yards when hunting in the fall, so want to focus 30 yards and in at different ranges as well.
I plan to move to broadhead shortly. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you practice and how much?

I do just about the same thing except i shoot with friends and that helps to push me to be better. I guess its all the competition
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven'ttouched my bow since indoor league ended mid March. But I'll gear up as we inch closer. I was actually going to site back in with hunting arrows Sunday when we got company.. So it's on my mind. Plus I need to get sighted in to take out this Groundhog that is taking up residence under my shed!

I shoot aluminum thicker and heavierarrows for league..so I need to narrow my rest and re-sight.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot winter and summer archery leagues. I shoot league one night per week...about 50-70 arrows each night. Outside of the leagues, I try to shoot 1-2 tournaments per month...aout 50-60 arrows per tourny. Other than that, I might shoot one other night in the back yard...probably around 30 arrows.

If I start feeling fatigue, I stop. Simply don't want to develop any bad habits.

Oh, I try to make it toone broadhead shoot right before the season starts.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red Lion:

If you are pressed for time, and want to simulate hunting as closely as possible, try the following out.

Rather than shooting 10-25 arrows per practice session....just shoot one.

Do it first thing in the morning (while your muscles are still stiff from sleeping) or right at last light (which is just like it is hunting). You only get one shot hunting, and limiting yourself to only one shot (assuming you have the discipline) will make you focus on making that one shot a good one...otherwise you'll think about it all day at work until you can go home that evening and fling another stick.

Works for me when I'm pressed for time.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do basically the same thing but have not put my stands up in trees yet. On the ground most of my shots are at 40+ yards and I shoot about 50-70 arrows in an eveningsession. I will also shoot while I am grilling dinner (50 yds) and I do this while sitting in a chair. On weekends I take shooting breaks from my chores and will shoot 30-50 arrows 2,3 or 4 times a day depending. I will come out and shoot fromdifferent yardagescold as if it were my first shot on a deer after a couple hours. I just try to shoot a whole lot and make up different scenarios. There will be more of that once I start shooting from trees. I shoot broadheads on occasion to make sure everything is shooting the same but I mostly shoot field points.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 AM

One day a week I punch paper and shoot at golf tees. Usually around 1-200 shots that day. Then as I have time I get out in the yard and shoot some......I also shoot 3D as time permits.

As season approaches I will shoot a lot more. I then change over to broadheads some, and in the height of it all I will be shooting 3-400 arrows per week. Sometimes more, just depends on my mood.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red Lion,

I have a new bow so more motivation to shoot, but also am squeezed for time.

I shoot off a deck about 5 feet up about 3 or 4 times a week, usually 24 shots, but sometimes 18 or 30 shots. Sometimes I stand on a sturdy chair to simulate a climber platform and to get me up a couple more feet. I haven't shot off my roof yet. I'm thinking my neighbors will call the cops.

I have been shooting about 18 shots at 20-25 yards and the last 6 or so at 30 yards (30 yards is as far as I can shoot in my yard). Sometimes I mix it up with real close shots.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM

I shoot 3 times a week. I spend most of my time between 40 to 60 yards, makes a 20 yarder seem like a chip shot.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM

I shoot about 100 arrows per day

Quick Reply: How do you practice and how much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.