Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you practice and how much?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you practice and how much?

I usually start shooting sometime in July and I will shoot 30-40 aarows 2-3x per week. I have been using the same bow for about 6 or 7 years now so there is not normally a lot of change. The reason I start in July is to get my muscles used to it and to identify any potnetial problems with my set up or to decide on broadheads.

When I get the "Fever" I can't spend enough time in the woods scouting and preparing for the hunt.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A training technique you can do is while you are up in your stand, scatter several plastic gallon milk jugs partially filled with sand around your stand (between ten and thirty yards from your standor like you said 20 yards would be your max shot you would probably take this fall).

Pick a target, reach slowly for your bow, draw, aim and shoot. Hang the bow back up, take your time,and shoot another target, repeating the process to the number of jugs youhave. It will stimulate the shots youwill have totake come fall.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM

I belong to an outdoor range club, but I rarely get to go, moslty because of time restrictions...but after reading Cameron's book Backcountry Bowhunting, I gave it a try and began shooting at home...inside! yes, It took a couple of days for the wife to understand that, but now I try to shoot every day at least few arrows...and this have really helped me...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Starting in January........Field Points and 3D until just before turkey season. Turkey season.....I shoot expandables.....and I hunted most every day. No time for practice.

After turkey season....it's back to FP's for some indoor 3D (it's HOT, here!) a couple to 3 times a week (sometimes 5 days). Come August.....I'll switch to BH's and won't shoot anything else until after deer season.

Repeat.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM

how long does a target last you shooting all those broadheads, and what kind of targetdo you use
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Bartender

Half hour a day in my driveway out to 40 yards.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't know. I bought a 2'x2' layered rubber target that I started out shooting my BH's into. I saw REAL QUICK it wasn't going to last long.....so I bought a yellow jacket.

It's still in good shape....., but I might need to stick some different dot locations on it, this year.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM

I shoot about every other day. Normally, only 20 to 30 shots. Shoot at a fairly slow pace. Like to shoot at varying distances - heavy on the long stuff - 50 to 70 yards.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back in my tourny days I would shoot everyday-60, 100 arrows & sometimes two tournaments on the weekends.
Now, starting my 51st year of Bowhunting it's during the season a couple arrows every few days. I haven't touched the Bow since last day I Deer Hunted BUT I leave on a hog Bowhunt in Oklahoma tomorrow morning. Walked out on my deck today & shot 4 arrows at 25 yards at a 3x5 card to check everything out-4 hits (with Broadheads). I guess I am ready & so is the Bow...Hope I do that well on a decent hog.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually shoot 1 broadhead followed by 2 or 3 field tips and see the consistency..then do that a bunch of times. Usually shoot a lot more arrows if im shooting with someone, makes it funner.

Quick Reply: How do you practice and how much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.