Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Goldtip Carbon Aluminum -

Old 06-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Goldtip Carbon Aluminum -

Just got them tonight. I don't have access to their GPI specs, but I cut 1" or so off the back end of mine before fletching, and at 30.5" of arrow only they weigh in at approx 9.7gpi. These are the .350 spine, pretty close to a 75/95 pro hunter spine, or a/c/c 3-60 spine (they are .340). I am making these for long distance field/FITA for now, but I expect these to be the perfect hunting shafts and as of now plan to use them for hunting this fall.

Weight of the raw shafts cut to 30.5" are as follows for the dozen

Unfortunately the glue in target points are on backorder and haven't shipped yet, so I will be node tuning them, cutting the fronts, and installing glue in points when those get here. I also plan to put them on the spine tester. When all that happens I will update with some more thoughts on where they end up and how they shoot. They did come with inserts, and pin nocks in the wrapper included, but I really want glue in points for these.

So far on the finger spin test they feel pretty straight. Will update with a picture of them later tonight and an fletched spin test from the spinner when I am done fletching.

I believe they retail at around $99 per dozen.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Goldtip Carbon Aluminum -

You got a bakers dozenand that is unreal on consistency.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Sounds about as consistent as my FMJs have been. I think the farthest one was off was a little over a grain.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

What if after your node testing you determine the proper length to be 31"? [8D]
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 PM

I think these are definately going to be a hot arrow when they start hitting the shops full speed. If they carry the same weight tolerances as ACC's at $30 cheaper a dozen, they will sell the heck out of them.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I got a bakers dozen. Never had that happen before. Didn't realize it until I was almost done fletching. Don't know if this is standard or if I got lucky.............kinda cool though.

The pin and nock combined for the .350's weigh in at 13 grains. These components seem to be specific to this shaft, the XT and Pro hunter components will not work. Every one of the pins combined with the nock weigh exactly the same. A/C/C 3-49 and 3-60 components don't fit either, 3-40's are too loose, and 3-60's are too tight, I tried using some of these for points but they don't fit at all.

The finished shafts (fletched w/ no points) with a shaft length of 30.5" ended up with 12 of them at 319 grains each and one at 318. I will put a bit of string wax into the back end of the point on the lighter one, and then I will have 13 weight matched perfectly.

It is difficult to tell if the point ends of the arrows are straight on the spinner without a point in them for reference, but they appear to spin very true, as straight as any arrow I have seen. The nock ends of all 13 spun straight enough for me to consider using a fixed blade head on it, usually I get 10-11 out of a dozen pro series arrows that will spin true enough for a broadhead by my eye. I am usually picky about culling and using the bad ones for practice only, but no need to this time. They are certainly at least as straight as I typically see from pro series GT's, with a bit more consistency it seems. One of them was a bit wobbly on the nock pin only, however I turned the pin bushing to let the bag I used settle a bit and it spun true then as well.

Will update probably Friday when I have had a chance to get to the shop and put them on the spine tester. I will be ordering another dozen of them tomorrow morning for hunting season so I have them before they run out.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

What if after your node testing you determine the proper length to be 31"? [8D]
I have node tuned an ACC 3-49 for the DL I am shooting now, which is pretty close to the .350. If I am off a bit, I will compensate with their modular weight system.......the points I have on order are 80 grain glue ins and I plan to add weight to them until the nodes are where I need them. Cutting off the back of arrows is usually the first thing I do, but in hindsight the next dozen I probably won't do this with until after spinning. Unless there is a fixed blade broadhead on the front of my arrows, my #1 priority is whats going on with the nock end, that's why I usually start by cutting off the back end.

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I think these are definately going to be a hot arrow when they start hitting the shops full speed. If they carry the same weight tolerances as ACC's at $30 cheaper a dozen, they will sell the heck out of them.
If you tell your shop to call GT directly instead of through a distributor they will have them in their hands within a week if they call soon. That would put them in your hands pretty darn quick.......dealers need to call and place orders though. My understanding is that GT is prepared to fill these orders now.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I made a mistake in the first post. Easton ACC 3-60 components will fit the shafts. I didn't use a chamfer tool when I first tried the glue in points and they wouldn't go in. I dug out the chamfer tool, cleaned up the ends, and then the 108 grain 3-60 glue in points fit perfectly.

I made 2x arrows today and shot one tuned to a node, and one cut 1/2" in front of the blade and the one cut in front of the blade seemed more consistent with the tears through paper. Tomorrow I will walkback tune the bow to 50 yards or so, sight it in for 20, and then shoot each arrow through paper at about 8 yards or so to make sure each is turning up an identical tear. If they don't tear the same then I will turn the nock to the next fletch and shoot it again till they either clear up or get tossed in the cull pile. Once this is done I will cut a sight tape on OnTarget2 and get some sight marks out to 90 meters and really put them to the test and see how they group at some distance. I will be shooting them at the 122cm FITA face and will compare to my scores from last year to see how they group. My best last year was a 323 @ 90 meters. I will be putting them on the spine tester next week Thurs as well to see what they turn out. The spine tester I have access to is plenty accurate enough to determine consistency from shaft to shaft in spine and to see if they have a "stiff" side of the shaft or not, however I can't determine actual deflections with an exact #.

I gotta say so far I am impressed with these. My other weight matched dozen is on the way. Remember to tear the weight sticker off the package if you get these, you can then order other bundles of a dozen in the future that weight exactly the same........
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt -

Great post, I'll probably be gettin a doz or two in a few weeks...

Do they come w/ inserts and nocks??

And if not, what size do i need to order?

Thanks.