Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A/C/C or FMJ for hunting?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A/C/C or FMJ for hunting?

What would you choose for a hunting arrow and why? I have been shooting Easton Axis 340s for the past couple of years and will soon be making a change. I have 8 shafts left and next time I get arrows I want to try something new. I will shoot a few 3-Ds but these will be primarily for deer hunting. Seems like I break any arrow I shoot a hog with so I'll start shooting less expensive arrows at them. I still have a bunch of aluminum shafts that will be used for hogs. So for quality shafts for deer help me decide.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:01 AM

Default RE: A/C/C or FMJ for hunting?

I wanted to check the tolerances, but I can't get Easton's webpage to open for some reason......Hm....Anyway.....

I say ACC. IMO, the only real advantage you get with FMJ's is added weight, but it's not like ACC's are incredibly light either. I was shooting 3-60-s and my finished arrow weight was 425 grains.

We've done some "testing" at the shop and the ACC's shot better and held up better. Our tests certainly aren't anything scientific, but that's what we decided anyway. If you ask me, the weakness of the FMJ is their durability. With that aluminum being on the outside as opposed to the inside the bend and break easier.

Just my .02
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with the FMJ last year and they performed very well. My finished arrow weight was 575 grains, so they were some tanks. I have found the same thing with the breaking. It seems that they are either fine, or broken. I did bend one, but out of the dozen I have, four of them broke from impact with the ground/rocks/etc. I think I would shoot them again if I were going for some tough game that required more KE since they pack the extra weight and the super small diameter really penetrates. I have no experience with ACCs.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going with FMJs this year.

I was in the same boat as you TX. I was standing in the shop see-sawing between which I was going to get. Honestly, dumb as it sounds, I ended up picking the FMJs just because I like the color blue. Dumb and vain, but something had to give.

I do like the fact that they are fairly small diameter, which may or may not help anything at all, but they are a bit heavier, which I have started to prefer over the super light arrows I shoot for 3D and used to shoot for game.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swamp, I too was drawn to them by the color! Nothing to be ashamed of there. The small diameter will help with penetration, just less drag when going through the critter. TX, you won't be dissapointed if you go with the FMJs
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking at an ACC, I would really consider the new Gold Tip aluminum carbon. They are cheaper than ACC's, have the same tolerances, and in my opinion a better component for the nock end using their pin nock system. Mine got delivered today and I am setting a bunch up to shoot long distance with (field/fita) and I am probably going to order another dozen for hunting this year. I will have a review on them up in the next week or so.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

If you are looking at an ACC, I would really consider the new Gold Tip aluminum carbon. They are cheaper than ACC's, have the same tolerances, and in my opinion a better component for the nock end using their pin nock system. Mine got delivered today and I am setting a bunch up to shoot long distance with (field/fita) and I am probably going to order another dozen for hunting this year. I will have a review on them up in the next week or so.
Hey Matt...where did you find the specs regarding tolerances? I saw id and od, but nothing regarding straightness or maximum weight variation.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use ACCs and with my short draw they were a little light, so I weighted them and kept the weight toward the front of the arrow to improve my FOC. Now my finished arrows are about 430 grains with 12.5% FOC. Beautiful for hunting.

The FMJs are interesting, but right now I'm too happy with what I've got to change.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget the Easton A/C Superslims.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Don't forget the Easton A/C Superslims.
That's my choice; small diameter, more weight than the A/C/C and still have carbon on the outer wall for durability.

Quick Reply: A/C/C or FMJ for hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.