Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting over bait

Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Bartender

Default RE: hunting over bait

Dont forget my stand pal.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

So then it is sat outto increase the odds. I understand that it isn't a sure thing, but to me (me, and just me) this crosses over into a place that is synthetic. I say this because it either places the deer in a location that it either would not be in, not be in at the same time of day, or would stay longer than usual. It also creates a situation where you tie yourself to that area. To me (again, just me) finding them, sneaking up on them in thier house, or figureing them out and beating them at thier game is what it is about. It seems very similar to mouse traps to me. Only difference is you pull the trigger and see it take place. I guess really, you could call it trapping. Trapping just usually involves more than one trap to increase the odds.
Yes, it is absolutely used to increase the odds. Depending on the use it may not do this, but if used in late season when the deer have very few food sources and are yarded up it can very much increase the odds. This is probably the only application I would use it for, and haven't yet because it just became legal late last season in PA and I was already tagged out. A friend of mine baits one of his stands that I've sat, but honestly the deer come through with or without bait and many times pass it up. So, I don't know how effective it is other than keeping a ton of squirrels in the area in that case.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Bartender

Nevermind were all guitly of one of these:
bait·ed, bait·ing, baits

To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).
[*]To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.[*]To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.[*]To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.[*]To tease. (hmmmmmm )[*]To feed (an animal), especially on a journey. [/ol]
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM

From my personal observation. Last year I spread out a 5 gallon bucket of corn around my mineral site once every two weeks from May through July. The purpose was to help draw deer in in front of the trail cam overlooking the site. It seemed that as the months went on, more and more of the pics were late at night. It almost appeared as if the deer knew someone was putting this food there and that night time was safe time. I had planned to stop well before hunting season and did and the more I left the area alone, the more the deer began showing up in daylight again on my pics. This year, I just put some minerals out and check the cam as minimally as I can. So, my 2 cents is baiting could actually hurt your chances of seeing deer during shooting hours.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Never mind were all guilty of one of these:
bait·ed, bait·ing, baits

To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).[*]To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.[*]To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.[*]To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.[*]To tease. (hmmmmmm )[*]To feed (an animal), especially on a journey.
[ol][/ol]

thanks peakrut you hit the nail on the head. i don't care if you bait or not some people think greenfield acorn or a corn field is not baiting but you look at the definition of baiting and alldo bait[*]
bait (plural baits)
[ol][*]Any substance, especially food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, trap, or net.[*]Anything which allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.[*]A portion of food or drink, as a refreshment taken on a journey; also, a stop for rest and refreshment.[*]A light or hasty luncheon. [/ol]
Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that when you are hunting the unaltered natural environment then you are NOT hunting over bait. You are using what the unaltered natural environment has given you, just like any other predator. A natural stand of white oaks (persimmon tree, honeysuckle, etc.)is not there to allure, entice or tempt deer, it is there because that is where it grew.

If a person wants to hunt over bait, a corn pile, more power to them but don't make claims that hunting a natural food source is remotely anything like hunting over bait.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt over bait and have for a long time
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Here's something I'd like to see in one of these posts......

If you're against baiting.....please note your PERSONAL experience with the practice.

Here's a shocker.....It's perfectly legal to bait deer in NC. I hunted over bait, occasionally, my first deer season Bowhunting. I don't hunt over bait, any more.....because (in my opinion) .......It is EASIER to kill deer when they are NOT over bait.

That probably wasn't what people expected.....but it's true in my PERSONAL experience.
Right on GMMAT. I couldn't agree with you more.

I spent several years in SC, where the corn pile and corn feeder are as ubiquitous as cammo and rifles....and I killed FAR more deer over natural acorns and fennel/browse then I even saw over cornpiles. Only thing cornpiles are good for (at least while the sun is up) is turkeys, squirrels and the occasional raccoon. Don't get me wrong, I have whacked some slickheads over corn...but hey...when you are getting paid to do it...you'll pull out all the stops!

EDIT: Oh yeah...and its about the only way to make hogs do what you want them too as well. It is VERY effective for pigs. One of the only sure fire methods. Nothing wrong with it at all. I do prefer spot and stalk, but a corn feeder is cool too....cause hogs need killing!

I have no experience baiting bears, and no desire to really ever bear hunt, be it over bait or with hounds. Spot and stalk...ehh maybe...but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Baiting ducks and doves...well...thats another arguement altogether.