Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting over bait

Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting over bait

To meet the proposed definition of baiting you would just about have to hunt in a steel box. Then I guess they would have to let the penned deer in there. Even my stands in the "big woods" are close to white oaks. Oh no, they might actually stop to sniff and grub around - that is so unfair!

Anyway, you usually don't kill big bucks off baiting. It is a good management tool just like food plots. Also, I haven't seen much sighting differences between a corn baited area or a good food plot.

I will rephrase. You can kill a big buck off baiting, but like a food plot, it usually won't be with their head in the stuff, you will either catch them on the way to or from the baiting/plot, or during the rut trying to track down the does you have attracted to the area.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I would not get the same level of satisfaction out of shooting a deer over a pile of corn. Sorry, no offense, but that is just me. I'd rather earn it the hard way and be proud of it. I can't imagine teaching my children to hunt by setting up over a pile of corn.
Growing up hunting in PA where baiting was taboo for so long I kind of felt the same way. However, after hunting in NJ for a couple of years and seeing that on public land there will be a pile of corn put out right on a well used trail that sits and grows moldy and seeing deer pass it up showed me that baiting doesn't improve your odds in some cases. It's just like anything else, a tool that can help when used at the appropriate time.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I would not get the same level of satisfaction out of shooting a deer over a pile of corn. Sorry, no offense, but that is just me. I'd rather earn it the hard way and be proud of it. I can't imagine teaching my children to hunt by setting up over a pile of corn.
Growing up hunting in PA where baiting was taboo for so long I kind of felt the same way. However, after hunting in NJ for a couple of years and seeing that on public land there will be a pile of corn put out right on a well used trail that sits and grows moldy and seeing deer pass it up showed me that baiting doesn't improve your odds in some cases. It's just like anything else, a tool that can help when used at the appropriate time.
So then it is sat outto increase the odds. I understand that it isn't a sure thing, but to me (me, and just me) this crosses over into a place that is synthetic. I say this because it either places the deer in a location that it either would not be in, not be in at the same time of day, or would stay longer than usual. It also creates a situation where you tie yourself to that area. To me (again, just me) finding them, sneaking up on them in thier house, or figureing them out and beating them at thier game is what it is about. It seems very similar to mouse traps to me. Only difference is you pull the trigger and see it take place. I guess really, you could call it trapping. Trapping just usually involves more than one trap to increase the odds.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM

you call me a troll you dumbcuffs i just wondered what you thought . as for me some time i do and some times i dont. but i got in a argument about baiting and said green fields are baiting and this person said it was not. so i thought i would ask yall about what you did bait or no bait . and if you bait what you use ??????????????
Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 PM

I'll hunt over anything legal where I am hunting. Feeder, acorn tree, cornfield, water hole, green field. It is all the same to me.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: kshort

bait as i see it is corn,green field,deer attraint,or any thing to make the deer stop and eat,or smell.
Are you serious??? [&:]

Is there ANY whitetail hunting that wouldn't be considered "baiting" by your definition above???

I promise, by your description, I don't know ANY deer hunters who don't bait!
My thoughts exactly! Even in the hardwoods there are acorns. Are you considering those bait too?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kshort

you call me a troll you dumbcuffs i just wondered what you thought . as for me some time i do and some times i dont. but i got in a argument about baiting and said green fields are baiting and this person said it was not. so i thought i would ask yall about what you did bait or no bait . and if you bait what you use ??????????????
Slow down - troll!

I hope you don't talk like you type! What is the value of the 14 question marks?

What is a dumbcuff? Only thing I can think of is the end of a shirt sleeve that is unable to speak.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Bartender

You need a example:
Northern Wi where baiting is legal and where I personally hunt there are no corn fields for miles so if you put out corn your chances go up pretty well.(Baiting) Down here in south eastern Wi corn fields everywhere therefor its not baiting because of that factor. But oncecorn fields are harvested and then and only then once the animals (not just deer) eat upwhat is left and you put corn out this isbaiting. This usually occurs in winter months here. (Illegal this part of Wi)
Now back to yourdumb statement:Everything that is available to the whitetailinhis/her world that is edible would be baiting. The whitetail is still to me is my #1 challange due toits senses.
ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Yup.

I hunt near a Soy Bean Field/Corn Fieldand frequently use day time drippers and scent canisters.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Bartender

Gmmat,

Ive heard that from people down in my part of Wi when baiting was legal due to all the cornfields around. Now for northern Wi from what I have been told that baiting helps a lot. I have not tried it yet per example I have posted in this forum. The only baiting I can say that did happen was the doe that came through last fall and then big boy followed 10 minutes later. She brought him right in for me during the rut on Nov 3rd.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Here's something I'd like to see in one of these posts......

If you're against baiting.....please note your PERSONAL experience with the practice.

Here's a shocker.....It's perfectly legal to bait deer in NC. I hunted over bait, occasionally, my first deer season Bowhunting. I don't hunt over bait, any more.....because (in my opinion).......It is EASIER to kill deer when they are NOT over bait.

That probably wasn't what people expected.....but it's true in my PERSONAL experience.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Gmmat,

Ive heard that from people down in my part of Wi when baiting was legal due to all the cornfields around. Now for northern Wi from what I have been told that baiting helps a lot. I have not tried it yet per example I have posted in this forum. The only baiting I can say that did happen was the doe that came through last fall and then big boy followed 10 minutes later. She brought him right in for me during the rut on Nov 3rd.
I can only tell you of MY experiences. I was shooting 3D with a guy last night that mentioned his "corn pile" every other sentence. Even here (where it's legal)....it still takes me aback. I simply feel that I UP my chances of taking deer when I hunt nowhere near the "bait".

I feed the deer all year (both food plot, now, AND a feeder that I have set up). I had a stand, last year, about 50 yds from the feeder.....that I hunted twice. I had a stand set up for my son (nearer to thefeeder)that I hunted 0 times. The two times Ihunted from the 50 yd stand......YES....I saw deer. Big deal.....I see deer all the time. I can only tell you that the deer I see near the feeder are on high alert. The deer I see elsewhere, aren't. They're reacting "normally". I made the decision, last year, to NOT hunt over the bait.....and I took my first 5 bow deer from that point forward.

I won't have a stand anywhere near the feeder, this season. I'm trying to UP my odds.

Quick Reply: hunting over bait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.