Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting over bait

Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting over bait

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

We all break little laws here and there sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. However, it is my opinion that hunting over (food) bait is crap.
I'm almost embarrassed for ya! [][&o]

That's exactly the kind of answer this troll was probably fishin' for! [:@]
Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

We all break little laws here and there sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. However, it is my opinion that hunting over (food) bait is crap.
I'm almost embarrassed for ya! [][&o]

That's exactly the kind of answer this troll was probably fishin' for! [:@]
Don’t be embarrassed for me. I’m never embarrassed by honesty. If you’re going to tell me that you’ve never broken a law, I will say that you are a liar. Ever rolled through a stop sign? If so you put human lives at danger, according to the law of course, which I would consider a little worse than maybe coming out of the woods five minutes late during an evening hunt because you didn’t want to spook the deer that were around your stand, potentially screwing up your favorite spot for tomorrow. Let them troll, don’t be afraid, the truth will set you free!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Baiting is not legal here. But I do hunt near apple trees regularly.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with people hunting over bait.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to bait, then quit baiting, now i bait again. I'm neutral on the whole baiting thing. but i know one thing, if CWD comes around my state id vote for all baiting to stop.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you guys get ahead of yourselves on your anti-baiting soapbox, PLEASE read his question about what he considers "bait"?

bait as i see it is corn,green field,deer attraint,or any thing to make the deer stop and eat,or smell.
"Anything to make the deer STOP, and EAT, or SMELL. ??? This opens and broadens the topic FAR more than simply a pile of corn.

By law there is NO BAITING in my state of Illinois, however he just described 2/3 of the entire state as "baited". Ag fields, Oaks, ANY plants and native browseand even SCENT usage! I wonder what the trolls thoughts and opinions are on calling and rattling also? [&:]

Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Before you guys get ahead of yourselves on your anti-baiting soapbox, PLEASE read his question about what he considers "bait"?

bait as i see it is corn,green field,deer attraint,or any thing to make the deer stop and eat,or smell.
"Anything to make the deer STOP, and EAT, or SMELL. ??? This opens and broadens the topic FAR more than simply a pile of corn.

By law there is NO BAITING in my state of Illinois, however he just described 2/3 of the entire state as "baited". Ag fields, Oaks, ANY plants and native browseand even SCENT usage! I wonder what the trolls thoughts and opinions are on calling and rattling also? [&:]

That is a point of contention. According to Webster, one of the definitions of "bait" or more accurately “baiting” is "To entice or lure, esp. by trickery".

I guess that could be rattling, grunting, doe piss or whatever. I personally take the approach as if I were stuck in a time and place where I didn't have a lot of gadgets at my disposal, or dropped off in a remote place. Am I good enough? That is the question, to me. If I had a pile of corn and I was on my own, lost or living remotely, I'd probably eat it myself, not sit it on the ground for all the animals in the forest to eat, and that is how I like to approach my hunting. But I would bait similarly to how I do now. I like to shoot a doe at the opening bell of bow season and use it’s glands and urine as a lure/cover (which is bait). But I could do that in the forest alone with no stores. I think that is different than a bag of acme feed corn left on the ground.
Respectfully,
KP
Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a point of contention. According to Webster, one of the definitions of "bait" or more accurately “baiting” is "To entice or lure, esp. by trickery".

I guess that could be rattling, grunting, doe piss or whatever. I personally take the approach as if I were stuck in a time and place where I didn't have a lot of gadgets at my disposal, or dropped off in a remote place. Am I good enough? That is the question, to me. If I had a pile of corn and I was on my own, lost or living remotely, I'd probably eat it myself, not sit it on the ground for all the animals in the forest to eat, and that is how I like to approach my hunting. But I would bait similarly to how I do now. I like to shoot a doe at the opening bell of bow season and use it’s glands and urine as a lure/cover (which is bait). But I could do that in the forest alone with no stores. I think that is different than a bag of acme feed corn left on the ground.
Respectfully,
KP
Well thought out and stated. I respect your stance.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: kshort

ok i know this is a hot topic here in mississippi but (i dont wont this to get out of hand) how many here hunt over bait. bait as i see it is corn,green field,deer attraint,or any thing to make the deer stop and eat,or smell. and i have noticed that most of the hunting seen on TV the deer is eating something when shot. just wondering what most here do..
Hunt Soybean fields off and on allthrough season.
Hunt cut corn fields.
Hunt Alfalfa or clover when available.
Occassionally use scents in Muson Glow Trap (spam!)

I guess according to the question, I bait.

But when I hunt near White Oaks that are dropping, I don't need tobait, obviously. I know what you are getting at. You dump somethingon the ground for them to eat, or place it in a feeder,hunt over it or near it, you are baiting.

Food plots to meare more for management and nutrition than "bait". There are areas of the country andCanada that I do not think some of the deer would EVER be harvested if feeding/baiting according to my definition was not allowed. IMO

Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

By your definition I hunt bait, because I hunt food sources and use scent. I hunt in NJ which allows baiting all the time and PA which will now allow baiting in my area on private land. I usually don't put bait out, because as Jeff said, in many cases it doesn't work. In PA I may try it in late season since most of the food sources in my private areas are scarce by then so it may be effective.

My stance on baiting has changed since I read "Year-Round Trophy Whitetails" by Joe Brooks. He puts it very clearly. To kill the biggest bucks in your area you have to use any and every means possible within the confines of the law. In other words, if it is legal and gives you an edge, DO IT!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not get the same level of satisfaction out of shooting a deer over a pile of corn. Sorry, no offense, but that is just me. I'd rather earn it the hard way and be proud of it. I can't imagine teaching my children to hunt by setting up over a pile of corn.

Quick Reply: hunting over bait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.