Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This fall will be a learning experience

Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This fall will be a learning experience

As some of you know Im a student at WKU in W. KY. Well, today I get a call and find out that my room mate and I lost our 180 acre farm in Benton. We really put alot of hard work in on this parcel with food plots, scouting, and QDM over the last 3 years, and the place was really looking promising with some bruiser bucks this fall. My dad has a good lease near his house, about an hour east of Louisville, which is a solid 5 hour drive fore me from campus. So it looks like Im gona have to bite the bullet and hunt public land this fall. I bought a new GPS today and already downloaded some maps of nearby WMAs and printed them off with laminant. I have never hunted on public land before, so this will be a learning experience for me. I've got my work cut out for me, but I think I will come out of this season as a better bowhunter. Its not September yet, so I still might stumble upon another lease, but things are looking pretty grim right now..
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This fall will be a learning experience

That tough man...ones things for sure though, you will be a much better hunter if you are forced to hunt public land. I would go around door-to-door asking people for permission. I did it when i went to MU and got several hundred acres to hunt....its better then nothing!

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sry to hear that, hopefully you can pull one out. But, public hunting will allow you to learn alot for when you get some land to yourself.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

That tough man...ones things for sure though, you will be a much better hunter if you are forced to hunt public land. I would go around door-to-door asking people for permission. I did it when i went to MU and got several hundred acres to hunt....its better then nothing!

Good luck!
I did the same thing. Goingdoor to door can't hurt and hopefully you'll find a place to hunt. I'm about 8 1/2 hours from homeso if I wanted to hunt at schoolI knewI needed to start knocking. I gained permission to 150 arces by doing it.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck! You still have time to find some new landand I like your attitude. Rather than whining about losing your spot you picked right up to see what area you can hunt. Kudos to you!
EDIT: Every year should be a learning experience for all of us!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM

You are not far from me. And from what I understand you have some fantastic public ground over there.

You may be pleasantly surprised what you may find. Put in for some draw hunts inWMAs. Check out West Vaco (spelling?)land and any other timber company land.

But it does stink to lose property to hunt. If you kill a bigthink before youtell the land owner and hisfamily! Not always but been there.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: markj

You are not far from me. And from what I understand you have some fantastic public ground over there.

You may be pleasantly surprised what you may find. Put in for some draw hunts inWMAs. Check out West Vaco (spelling?)land and any other timber company land.

But it does stink to lose property to hunt. If you kill a bigthink before youtell the land owner and hisfamily! Not always but been there.
Thats what everyone keeps telling me. Germ is coming down here to hunt the Higginson-Henry WMA. It looks pretty good from the scouting I've done on the area. Hopefully its a gem.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

good luck... I almost went to western kentucky to play football, but instead chose delaware... dont ask why[&:]
Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow what a blow, sorry to hear about your loss, 180 acres is a real big loss, I dont know what Id do if I lost my 300 acres. I do some public land hunting here in centralWI and I tell you, its not as bad as one would think. Ive seen some pretty big bucks and does and other wildlife I havent seen on my farm before, so its kind of nice. The bad part about it is, its first come first serve, so never mention to anyone where you will be hunting, especially if youve done your homework and found an excellent spot with good big buck potential. Good luck to you this year and keep your chin up and arrows straight. Youll be fine.