" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting young bucks?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting young bucks?

ORIGINAL: Germ

Are we talking buck or doe?

Shooting to many young bucks will not allow for a fun rut. What happens is to many young bucks breed. This cause bad genetic on both sides does and bucks to creep in.

Look at states like Iowa they have 50% or below 1.5 buck harvest per year. States like MI isup around 75%.
I am talking about bucks .... another question ..... how does a buck at 1.5 years old produce bad genetics? If he lives to 3.5, does his ability to produce good genetics go up?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

When he breeds at 1.5 is when the issue may occur. They are not ready to breed, but since there are to many does and not enough mature bucks to stop them, well they have at it, lOL
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

When he breeds at 1.5 is when the issue may occur. They are not ready to breed, but since there are to many does and not enough mature bucks to stop them, well they have at it, lOL
sounds like the teenagers of today ...

OK Germ .... that doesn't sound right to me ..... is there science that shows Bobby Buck at 1,5 years old is genetically inferior to what he will be at 3.5 years old??

Again, I don't know...I'm just asking ...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

He is not, but his "boys" maybe and yes there is evidence.

Then we produce a gentic inferior deer who than breeds, the process keeps repeating....
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm following you Germ on this too many hoes (sorry, does) thing and the younger bucks getting in on the action. But I would like to see the evidence on the swimmers of a 1.5 year old buck not being genetically up to par with a similar (genetically) deer at 3.5 years? That isn't true for humans and I'm sure some other species, in fact, older sometimes = blanks. [8D]

I thought that the fact that lots of young bucks were breeding was bad is b/c with fewer does it is more likely that only better bucks (those that win out) will be the ones doing most of the breeding.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

This topic has been beaten to death and discussed from every possible perspective so many times.It may be new and fresh for some but it old and tiresome for myself.
If someone has an interest and desire in shooting older bucks from their hunting area's it is extremely unlikely that will occur if they are shooting young bucks in those area's.While it is my wish that more hunters were more selective in what they chose to shoot I respect every hunters rights within the game laws.
I look at deer in two way's as meat and as trophies,for meat and herd management I am shooting doe's,for trophy hunting I am pursuing older bucks.In herds that are severely unbalanced shooting young bucks is bothersome to me.I don't understand the logic of passing on doe after doe to kill a 1 1/2 old buck.Meat's the same you are not going to mount the animal so why not do the herd and the carrying capacity of the land some good.(provided you have a doe tag or either sex tag)
As long as someone goes about their hunting with integrity and consumes what they kill I am supportive and would provide enthusiastic support and congratulations regardless of the age of the animal they have killed,even if I didn't agree with it!I twould be especially hard for me though if someone filled multiple buck tags with 1 1/2 year old bucks,to me while of course still legal is what I would consider a poor use of our natural resources.
I am not looking for agreement or attempting to change anyone's mind it is just the way I feel.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The way I took it about 1.5 breeding is that thier genetics haven't been realized, so a poor genetic buck could breed just as easy as a stud 1.5 buck. BUT by the time they'd grow up, the stud buck would dominate and do the breeding. Does that sound correct?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

He is not, but his "boys" maybe and yes there is evidence.

Then we produce a gentic inferior deer who than breeds, the process keeps repeating....
Germ, if you could show me where scientists have studied the sperm of a 1.5 year old is genetically inferior tothe same buck at3.5 years old, I would be very interested to see it .... if it's true, then THAT is the platform for which QDM advocates should fire from.... and I would do everything in my power to educate folks in my area ....

Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Any buck to me with my bow is a trophy! Doe, button, spike, fork whatever.
Where I hunt you dont see a whole lot of deer and somtimes and sit on stand for days with out seeing one. Its like fishing. A 3-5lb large mouth is a "nice catch" up here. I went down to Florida and people would say thats a "small one".

Dont get me wrong we do grow deer big up here! Hunting is just very different. Hence there is much coverage of our state in hunting mags, shows, and videos. So my long winded response is......If its not at least 9.5 years old I let it walk! Just kidding. If I have a good shot and I am hungry any animal is a trophy!

Jim
Old 06-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good answer! You are right. In most states including Wi, most deer never see 3.5 years old. The oldest one I shot was a 7 pointer I shot back in 2005, we aged him at 4.5 according to tooth charts.

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

If you don't shoot them....someone else will.

Quick Reply: Shooting young bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.