" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting young bucks?

Old 05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting young bucks?

ORIGINAL: gutshot101

wonderful point-- i was just re-reading this and it seems alot of us are thinking a 3 year old deer is fully mature. and who am i to say he isnt. but i do know that same deer on minerals and feed supplements will growalot in a given year and at 4 or 5yrs will have alot larger rack than he would have had with no supplements.

i have a 145 incher that was aged at 2.5 years want pics?
Y'all also don't have dog drivers dumping hounds into your farms either. Although you may well have people with spotlights shooting them out of your gardens at night with rifles.

The main issue with letting a 3 y.o that is a good buck walk is the simple fact that someone else will shoot it. Its not that I care about being the one who shoots it...I haven't shot a buck in 4 years...but I have also never shot a buck that didn't go on the wall...and my smallest deer was 127 and change..and I was 11 when I shot him. If someone wants to shoot him....good for them....but there is no point in spending money on minerals and food plots in my part of the world, because all you are doing is growing deer for someone else to run off your property illegally with dogs to shoot or poach at night in your back yard.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess all we can do isare best, let a 16 or 17 inch 8 point come by an see what happens I don't care if he is 2 1/2 or 4 1/2 the first part of the season he is going down. Then I will get picky, will not shoot a small5 or 6 not going to happen.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I shoot a 1.5 year old buck, that means I DIDN'T shoot the 3.5 year old buck that could be in the same area. So that 3.5 year old buck will be 4.5 next year and will be even bigger!

So by shooting the 1.5 year old buck, I have ensured that there will be an ABSOLUTE MONSTER in my area next year. This is how I support QDM.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

If I shoot a 1.5 year old buck, that means I DIDN'T shoot the 3.5 year old buck that could be in the same area. So that 3.5 year old buck will be 4.5 next year and will be even bigger!

So by shooting the 1.5 year old buck, I have ensured that there will be an ABSOLUTE MONSTER in my area next year. This is how I support QDM.
Hey ...... I LIKE that logic!!!! LOL
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'm too tired to fight this onenow. A couple 16-17 year olds in the deer section have worn me out.
LOL! I hear ya brother!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Hey ...... I LIKE that logic!!!! LOL
PT that logic has gotten MI the worst QUALITY deer herd in the Midwest

Prime example is look where all the records came from 40 or 50 years ago. It was Northen LP and UP. Since we have installed baiting and the mulligan buck tag system the deer are getting smaller in those areas.

We have really hurtour herd in Northen LP and UP.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I vry well might be, but doesn't true DEER management come from the taking out of does in a herd??? Now I am talking about healthy deer, not necessarily massive bucks.......

Be gentle guys, I am just asking .... educate me .....
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ideal is 1:1 ratio.

Yes shooting does is a good thing. If you are above carry capacity or trying to maintain it.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Ideal is 1:1 ratio.

Yes shooting does is a good thing. If you are above carry capacity or trying to maintain it.
So shooting a 1 1/2 old deer, allowing a 3 1/2 to walk is a wash?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are we talking buck or doe?

Shooting to many young bucks will not allow for a fun rut. What happens is to many young bucks breed. This cause bad genetic on both sides does and bucks to creep in.

Look at states like Iowa they have 50% or below 1.5 buck harvest per year. States like MI isup around 75%.

Quick Reply: Shooting young bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.