" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting young bucks?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting young bucks?

I think that would be a very interesting experiment. I'd be in. It might make someone think twice when they say "I'm only shooting 140" or better" and they get the itchy trigger finger when that basket 8 comes walking by at 8 yards begging to catch an arrow.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Im rack hunting then I set my standards according to what bucks Ive been seeing during pre season glassing and on my trail cams. So to answer the question simply, no I will usually pass on young bucks during a normal bow hunting situation.

If I'm meat hunting,and I see a nice doe, first one close enough goes in the freezer. There are way to many does where I hunt so I have no reason or needto shoot young bucks. I hunt deer the way I want to hunt deer as everyone should.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I think that would be a very interesting experiment. I'd be in. It might make someone think twice when they say "I'm only shooting 140" or better" and they get the itchy trigger finger when that basket 8 comes walking by at 8 yards begging to catch an arrow.

I am pretty itchy right now! Dont dare open a special hunt this month and show me a Stubbed out Velvet deerthat is around a 60 class. SCHWACK! (just kidding. maybe an 80class)

It is true, depends on the sightings and the areas potential. I bet a guy in Alabama ina national forest would wack a 110-120 in a heartbeat.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

If you don't shoot them....someone else will.
Unfortunately, that is the way it is around here... Not much private land, no management, and lots of pressure. I take what I see.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't trophy hunt, so if it looks worth the drag and would put a good dent in the freezer space it's going down. People like me are the biggest reason why QDM is stupid at best, you can't practice it unless everybody else does, and I never will.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

I thought this post was about young bucks, not score. The two can vary from place to place a lot depending on nutrition and genetics. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Time to pop another bag of corn.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I don't trophy hunt, so if it looks worth the drag and would put a good dent in the freezer space it's going down. People like me are the biggest reason why QDM is stupid at best, you can't practice it unless everybody else does, and I never will.
Hey got anymore magic rocks I am all out
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

This topic has been kicked around for way too long. Shoot what makes you happy but you can't cry about not seeing any big bucks if you shoot the smaller ones and for the people that think there are no big deer in there woods (what made the small bucks)? Immaculate Conception.
8 years ago I felt that way, now I know what I have in my woods and I don't think the deer population has changed that much over the eight years. They are there you just have to find them.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

I do not have a problem with someone whacking whatever buck makes them happy. Unless they are on a lease that is managed and it should meet a minimum. We had a big problem with this last year with guys whacking 1 1/2 basket racks when there is a 8 point spread as wide as the ears rule. I had one guy try to justify his kill by telling me a 90 lb 7 point was a 5 year old cull buck.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okiaroslinger,

Heh, with an 8 point rule my lil brother shot a 4 point "cull buck" too, or at least that was his response when we got there to pick it up and gave him some really dirty looks. See, the antlers weren't perfectly matching.

I did shoot a 2.5 year old buck with 4 or 5 points that was truly a cull buck. Someone had shot him in the leg the year prior and due to the massive calcification he only had one small crooked spike on one side.

Quick Reply: Shooting young bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.