" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting young bucks?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting young bucks?

I don't have a 4 wheeler so I always shoot the small onesbecause they are easier to drag(or throw over my shoulder).
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't have a 4 wheeler so I always shoot the small onesbecause they are easier to drag(or throw over my shoulder).
Quite true.

While not widely known or discussed.....they actually have handles until they reach one and a half.

Good catch, NEW!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Site Bouncer

I will shoot whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Most of the time I'm looking for a mature deer but,I hunt for the pure enjoyment of hunting. If that means shooting a younger deer then so be it. I like to keep the herds inthe areas I huntas healthy as possible and for the most part they are but there are areasthat areover populated.It's in those areas that I try to take most of the does I shoot. I like big antlered bucks like everybody else but I enjoy hunting more.

We do this for enjoyment folks......try to keep the herds healthy and shoot what makes you happy. If only shooting big antlered mature deer is your cup of tea then go for it. If shooting younger deer makes you happy, again go for it. Follow your states hunting regulations and try to preserve this sport for the generations to come. Beyond that, shoot what makes you happy.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

You know the old saying..you can't eat horns..the same holds true for Spots.

No, but they do make for nice aiming aids
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it would be interesting if everyone in the archery contest set a minimum on what to shoot, let say >120". Never going to happen but lets say we did. The amount of deer entered would probably go down initially but do you think it would gradually go up each year after if we kept the same standards and people involved?? I think it would
Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just want all the deer to yourself!

Another classic...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM

ive been feeding my deer heard minerals and supplements for a couple years and have seen a big improvment. ive taken some book deer that i let walk the year before, but ill also bust the first spike i see every chance i get. its up to the hunter and the buddies or land owner hes hunting with... dont let a bunch of guys off the internet slam you for shooting what you feel good about, hunt how you want and shoot what you want. if youre bow hunting, its a challenge to get clsoe enough for a shot, not only hitting it. besides, smaller deer are smaller targets.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it would be interesting if everyone in the archery contest set a minimum on what to shoot, let say >120". Never going to happen but lets say we did. The amount of deer entered would probably go down initially but do you think it would gradually go up each year after if we kept the same standards and people involved?? I think it would
Pretty rich...coming from a MO resident...lol

I've never SEEN OR gotten a trail cam pic of a 120" deer in the wild.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

120"---Could we enter three 40" deer?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Pretty rich...coming from a MO resident...lol

I've never SEEN OR gotten a trail cam pic of a 120" deer in the wild.
Its hypothetical, but for you GMMAT, will drop it down to >90

Quick Reply: Shooting young bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.