Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scary tree stands

Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default scary tree stands

I went out scouting the other day on state landand i was walking down this trail, i noticed some one had a stand at this intersection. The scary part was that it was a 6-8 inch scrubby tree with lots of 2 inch branches sticking out of it and at the top was a plastic milk crate on top of two branchs coming out of the main tree.It wastied to the tree with what looked like 1/4 inch cotton rope. The guy would have to climb up the branches and get him self on the crate while weaving through the tight branches.
All i thought was you would never catch me up there . Has anybody else seen some crazy sey ups that you just shake your head at ?

[/align]
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM

Default RE: scary tree stands

I have seen some frightening ones - simply boards strapped together with crooked boards leading up the side of the tree that broke apart when you set foot on them. I even had someone try to get me to climb up in one of these when hunting with them once. I opted to stay on the ground sitting on a bucket in the brush. I'm still alive which is what counts.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Yah the API grandslam bowhunter...It slips in the trees and is very unstable. It almost pivotes a around the tree when you lean to one side....scary stuff whne your way up.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, I've seen many scary setups...as a matter of fact, I used to hunt out of a few of them. All it took was a close call to call it quits. Now you will only catch me in a tree in one of my climbers or lader stands with a harness.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

up atmy cabin, i seen some 1"X6" boards laying across to branches in a pine tree and had duct tape holding them on. Now how redneck is that!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen a plastic lawn chair straped to a tree. It was bright white and stuck out like a sore thumb. I couldn't belive what I was seeing..
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are some scary set ups. keep them coming guys i'm getting a laugh out of them

[/align]
Old 05-31-2007, 06:40 PM

I saw one that was a platform that was attached to the tree with two 2x6's. It was a died tree that was broke off at the top. Then up top there was a a five gallon bucket on the platform. The there was a wire that was hooked to one nail that you wrapped around you body and hooker it to another nail. You got up there with an old crap alum. ladder. It was a death trap I did not get in it.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Saw an old homemade ladder stand up in NH near my camp a few years ago made fron 2 or 3" cedars strapped together. Its still there, dont know how long its been there but its falling apart now. Thing is I bet it was pretty sturdy 10 years ago. Looked real well thought out & only 12' or so high.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Many years ago-- the old baker treestands were pretty scary. I have a friend that still hunts out of one. I pray a lot for his safety.