Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie Help

Old 12-20-2002, 06:31 PM
M38
Spike

Default Newbie Help

I'm a longtime firearm hunter who is thinking about bow hunting to take adavantage of both the early season and access to archery only areas. I've been surfing the net and it's information overload big time. I would appreciate any guidance to finding a web site or book that could help guide me through what equipment is necessary ect.
THANKS
Old 12-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Help

Petersons Bowhunting magazine has alot of good info throughout the year on equipment and whats right for you type of stuff. I would start by finding a archery shop to determine what your proper draw length is. Then have them give you some good shooting tips on form. When you feel comfortable shooting a bow , start shooting as many different bows as you can to make your decision on which bow is right for you. The more time you spend in a archery shop , the more you'll learn about equipment and all the extras from other shooters. Dont be afraid to ask questions. You can also learn alot from the folks here.

<---Doug---<<<
Old 12-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfanatic has some excellent advice, however some pro shops WILL take advantage of you. Direct your questions towards the other people shooting at the range, not the people behind the counter. Some of them will see how green you are and try to get all of your &quot;green&quot; away from you.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the &quot;Hokey Pokey&quot; really is what it's all about?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:48 PM

Keep reading ALL the threads on this board. You'll learn alot just checking in here.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

M38 , Theres a gentleman here that goes by the name Tazman. If you send him an email he could probably offer you some advice on some good archery shops to check out in your area. I believe he lives around 10 - 15 miles from you.

<---Doug---<<<
Old 12-21-2002, 09:52 AM

read, read, and read. when your done reading get another magazine or book and read some more. i moved to pa. 10 years ago and never bowhunted before and all my family lived in ct., r.i., and ohio. i didn't know anyone so i am what i call myself &quot;self taught bowhunter.&quot; i am proud of my successes as much as my failures as a bowhunter and soon made some of the best friends in the world thru archery. welcome to the brotherhood and good luck on what i call a lifestyle.....
Old 12-21-2002, 01:52 PM
M38
Spike

Thanks for the good advice, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. BOWFANATIC I will take your advice and contact Tazman.
Thanks again, Happy Holidays
Old 12-21-2002, 02:28 PM

There's one sight I highly recommend for the begginer to the medium skilled archer http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
This is a great resource in bow mechanics and it'll give you a good understanding of what to look for to suit your personal preferences. Like Tecbownut, I pretty much taught myself and have learned and ENORMOUS amount from sifting through all these threads and asking questions. I do believe you should visit a proshop or at least go to a range where other, experienced shooters can give you tips. It's difficult to &quot;unlearn&quot; bad technique and poor form if you've never seen it done properly.

I'll almost promise you'll fall in love with the sport. The only time I pick up a gun anymore is for small game!And even then I'll sometimes rabbit hunt with the bow(depends on whether I want to kill a rabbit or just have fun!). Welcome to the brotherhood!

Trushot }}------>
Old 12-22-2002, 09:44 AM
M38
Spike

That's a great site Trushot_archer, it helped me alot.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I too live in Stafford, if I can be of any help let me know, shhot me an e-mail.~Ben

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/

Quick Reply: Newbie Help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.