Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not even looking forward to hunting this year!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Not even looking forward to hunting this year!

Hey guys,

I gotta admit, I am nowhere near as pumped to get out and actually hunt this year...... my whole goal has changed around and I am devoting all of my energy to getting my new girlfriend her first deer ! She isn't really an accomplished hunter simply because she got into it entirely by herself and has had to learn everything by herself. Her dad doesn't deer hunt so she was on her own, and I am hoping to end her deer-less streak this year. I feel pretty confident that I can get her on a bunch of bucks but I also want to get her a nice buck. I am starting to get serious and I put the cameras out, I am not going to be using my feeders this year and my whole focus with my scouting cameras has changed, I use to just set them up over my feeder or a pile of corn just to get lots of pics of nice bucks but now I am just setting them up on trails and water sources just to get a pattern on the deer, no sense in putting out corn and getting lots of pictures of big bucks when it isn't going to help me pattern them at all. Right now I have one ladder stand, two climbers, and probablly a half dozen hang on's set-up but I am gonna get a few more ladder stands and set them up for Tiffany to use (she has never hunted out of a treestand, she always archery hunted from the ground). I'll tell you one thing, she is a suprisingly good shot, 25 yards and she can put 3 arrows in a quarter, so when the moment of truth comes I feel confident that she will be able to make the most of it.

Have any of ya'll noticed that your personal excitement for hunting seemed to lessen when trying to get your gf/wife her first deer?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not even looking forward to hunting this year!

I have to admitt I saw the same thing when I was helping my daughter learn. Now that she is as good as most guys or better and can do most of the hunting and scouting herself I got back to me for the last few years. Then came filming and I never thought I would say, It is as close as you can get to hunting and I likebeing behind the carmera as much as hunting.. Walt
Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Jason. It's a great feeling, and very addicting to help someone who is special to you,get intothe world of hunting and harvesting their first deer. I have just as much fun "trying" to help my wife with hunting, as I do hunting for myself.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My excited increased when trying to get girlfriend's into shooting and hunting. Getting them involved in something I love to do is important. Especially if you want to buy more toys and they finally understand why you need that new gadget.

Helping someone else, especially someone you love, does more for me than any deer I've shot on my own.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

She isn't really an accomplished hunter.....
Are you ???[8D]
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

She isn't really an accomplished hunter..... [/blockquote]

Are you ???[8D]
Hey now!!!!!! hahaha, I'm gonna let that one slide, we all know that somebody who shoots a Hoyt can't be to bright anyways soooo.... haha
Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 PM

if i keep the one i have, i will never experience what u are going through. My gf is a shopper, not a hunter. I look at it this way... when were older, i'll spend countless hours in the woods while shes can spend her countless hours in the mall...then were both happy and i can get away a little bit and be by myself
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHA!

All kidding aside, I know perfectly well what you're saying... (not about the Hoyt though ), but about getting someone else involved in the sport.

For the past 2 seasons I have been getting my oldest (my 11 year old Daughter) into deer hunting and I have an 8 year old son that feels as if he's "ready". I also have a 7 year old that will be deer and turkey hunting in another year or two as well. That just doesn't make much time for Dad to chase whitetails with the full one tracked mind I used to have but it means tha it will certainly be more fun than it's been in years. When my Daughter took her first deer a couple seasons ago, I have NEVER been that shook up and rattled in my life! I honestly don't know who was more excited, her or ME!

Wanting to share the sport we love is all partof maturing as a sportsmen, in my opinion, the same as passing up immature animals waiting for something that just seems to make it a bit more special. What's cool is that your GF will propbably end up tagging that wide spreadingdude you have running around your farm! Best of luck to her!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Just bring her south Md for an afternoon hunt. I'll put her on several dozen and even a few bucks. Then you can get back to trying to become an accomplished hunter.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats good. my girlfriend got her firstsika last year.