Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kids that don't hunt?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kids that don't hunt?

I started hunting when no one in my family hunted. I was raised by a single mother, after my father passed, and although she would take us camping, never hunting, she always encouraged us. I took hunters safety at 12, and she was friends with a state troopers family and Mr Corbett took me a lot. I have an older brother who like to hunt, but likes golf better and my younger brother doesn't hunt at all.
Now I have 2 young stepsons, Jordan 12 and Jake 10. Jake is sports, sports , sports. Jordan huntswith me. I love them both. There is nothing that makes me prouder than Jake scoring goals or Jordan hunting with me. I don't force either into anything, I have driven an hour to hunt and have Jake tell me he's ready to go after an hour. 2 hours drive/ 1 hour hunting, but I don't want him to hate it. Jordan has been going with me since he was 4. There were many mornings of him sleeping on my lap when the turkeys were gobbling. But I hope that the memories that I make with either of them are what counts. Louis Lemore said "there are only 2 things in life, anticipation and remembrance. If we remember richly we must have lived richly." For me, my best memories were in the woods and I hope that I can give my little guys some of what I have had.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter took her hunter safety course a year before she was of legal age to hunt, but she decided she doesn't want to hunt. Thats okay with me. She still likes to shoot every once and a while, and she does come fishing with me occasionally. She used to fish with me more often, but now she's more into hanging with her friends.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter loves to fish and won't let me go without her. But she isn't into hunting. She will walk along squirel hunting once in a while, if there are no mosquitoes or nasty spider webs. But there is not enough action in deer hunting for her. TOO MUCH sitting still. At her age(17) I probably felt the same way.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

My oldest daughter never had an interest in it. I promise the wife I would never push the kids into hunting... which wasn't a problem. I got into hunting because I loved it and felt they would make that choice themselves also. You do or you don't. Tyler loves it and Britney seems to be getting the bug also.

Jeff

You need to find a middle ground with your son. You don't need to give up your spot but maybe find other land to share time with your son. Time shared is the most important part. Tyler will sometimes remind me to lighten up as I tend to get very serious about hunting and showing him the ropes to be a better hunter. We've got to let them grow as a hunter instead of trying to make themthe perfect hunter.Let them learn from their own mistakes. I came from a non hunting family. While it would have been nice to have some one show me the ropes, I wouldn't trade the hard earn lesson for anything. One of the many reason I love hunting... it is not always easy and very rewarding when you do pull it off. I have backed off because I wantTyler to learn himself and enjoy the same rewards I did. I want him to grow as a hunter and a person.

Your son is not you. While we want them to be just like us and the best at what ever they do...we sometimes take it too far. I am not saying you are with your son but since you asked... I am just saying ( ). Really, I've noticed it with my two older kids.

Give himadvice, show himsupport and teach him respect. Let him grow to find the man in himself. He will turn out alright.

Tim
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

My oldest daughter never had an interest in it. I promise the wife I would never push the kids into hunting... which wasn't a problem. I got into hunting because I loved it and felt they would make that choice themselves also. You do or you don't. Tyler loves it and Britney seems to be getting the bug also.

Jeff

You need to find a middle ground with your son. You don't need to give up your spot but maybe find other land to share time with your son. Time shared is the most important part. Tyler will sometimes remind me to lighten up as I tend to get very serious about hunting and showing him the ropes to be a better hunter. We've got to let them grow as a hunter instead of trying to make themthe perfect hunter.Let them learn from their own mistakes. I came from a non hunting family. While it would have been nice to have some one show me the ropes, I wouldn't trade the hard earn lesson for anything. One of the many reason I love hunting... it is not always easy and very rewarding when you do pull it off. I have backed off because I wantTyler to learn himself and enjoy the same rewards I did. I want him to grow as a hunter and a person.

Your son is not you. While we want them to be just like us and the best at what ever they do...we sometimes take it too far. I am not saying you are with your son but since you asked... I am just saying ( ). Really, I've noticed it with my two older kids.

Give himadvice, show himsupport and teach him respect. Let him grow to find the man in himself. He will turn out alright.

Tim

thanks Tim, wise words for all of us fathers....
Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 AM

I came from a family were my parents did not hunt at all. My neighbors got me into shooting guns. Then i wanted to try hunting so my neighorsstarting taking me. Then I was hooked for life. Now I go hunting with my cousin all of the time.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TJF

Jeff

Tim
RESPECT! Wonderful post ..... Jeff, for some of us the fun is the intense scouting, practice, scent control, etc ... for some it is just gettin out there and hoping that one comes by .... ifit doesn't, it doesn't, but it's just great getting out there. Now the laying the hunting clothes around and not taking proper care of the bow.... those are charecter issues, and IMO, need to be dealt with, but if he wants to go hunting ..... I would let him go at the level he wants to go .... hunting is VERY personal ..... it's important that he enjoys it ..... that will only be on HIS terms .....
Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys.....Lisa and I struggle with the stance I've chosen. Out of the blue.....Lisa asked Mitch, last night...when we picked him up from his girlfriend's house, if he was going to do more hunting, this year. He said he was. SHE asked him if he was going to start shooting his bow (he hasn't shot much in a while). He said he would.

We won't let him go hunting unless he practices (nor would any of you .....if you hunt ethically). I also can't help but think I'm sending the wrong sgnal to my son......if I let him "half-ass" hunting. Maybe you don't understand what I'm asking of a TEENAGER. I ask him to keep his hunting clothes in plastic bins. When he takes them off.....put them up. When he says he's going hunting.....get them out and put them on. When you say yo're going hunting the next day.......don't be looking for your haul line, bow hook, etc........5 minutes before we're supposed to be leaving.

And I have NO PROBLEMS taking him hunting even if he doesn't do all these things. I simply don't take him into the best spots. We still see deer. That's not the issue. If I reward him for mediocrisy, now......"I" feel like I'm doing him a disservice. I'll not reward him for taking the easy way out all the time.

I hope this makes things clearer....and I don't mind the discussion, one bit. I lost my "DAD" manual a long time ago.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

I agree with you that you need to teach kids the right way to do things but I feel like your going about it all wrong. You tell the kid once maybe twice what he needs to do. You tell him what time your leaving in the morning etc... If he isn't ready you leave. If he doesn't do what he is supposed to do (ie scent control) he won't be successful. Eventually he'll figure it out, come around etc...

The way your going about it now is only going to frustrate you not him.

This is your hobby to!

I don't know how this saying goes exactly but I think it is relevent here. If you free the bird and it comes back to you then it was meant to be. Practice this and it will work out for you.

Good Luck with your boy.

Tom
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

stat:

You're right......the ONLY person getting upset was ME. What you describe is EXACTLY what I do.....and have been doing since the middle of last season....

You tell the kid once maybe twice what he needs to do. You tell him what time your leaving in the morning etc... If he isn't ready you leave.
I tell Lisa all the time not to get upset when we discuss things with him. We tell him our expectations (school, around home, morally, etc...) and we tell him the consequences if our expectations aren't met. There' s no reason to get angry about it. It's an "IF/THEN" scenario both good and bad.

Good stuff, guys....

Quick Reply: Kids that don't hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.