Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thought to ponder

Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Thought to ponder

Was just thinking about arrow cresting and how it's the big thing now. Has anyone thought of doing the cresting on the broadhead end of the arrow? Might look funny but I would think it would be a way to add FOC to an arrow that might be lacking FOC that might otherwise be discarded.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thought to ponder

I know there are a few guys on the video circuit who do this but I think there intention is to help the arrow show up better on camera when being filmed from an angle rather than to add weight for FOC purposes.

Wrapping the forward portion of the shaft doesn't prove durable either, once an edge starts to lift its all downhill from there, plus the abuse of other arrows striking the forward portion of the shaft when shooting groups will tear them to shreds.

I would bet a heavier paint style dip would add more weight and be much more durable in the longrun but I've never tried it.

I shoot Gold Tip arrows and utilize their weighting system to find the proper balance and spine for my 3Das well as compound and recurvehunting arrows. I never glue in my bushings (bag them in) and this allows me to add different screw in weights to the insert to get the desired affect I'm looking for.

That insert and nock end weighting system is IMO a very helpful and underutilized tool in our tuning arsenal.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thought to ponder

Pretty much what Matt said, I don't think it would last very long going into targets. Plus the paint might melt right to the foam in 3D targets, and you would never get them out. I'll stick to putting mine on the nock end.