Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hang-on vs. Ladder

Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Hang-on vs. Ladder

get hang on, best hang on ive ever sit in for the money is the remington 300 mag treestand. check em out at bass pro for i think 100 bucks, sometimes on sale. i got two for 60 each onsale last summer. Extremely comfortable, safe, perfect for bowhunting i.e. no bars, or obstructions in the way. cant go wrong with these. but as Michael said it is a heavier stand than alot of those 300 dollar ones, so it really isnt for moving around often. i moved mine last year 3 or 4 times throughout the season without problem.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Germ

Here is what i do.

No ladder at all I have seen to many older deer look up into them.

When I am hunting bedding area's I use screw in steps. They are less noticible by game and humans
That is interesting. I have had deer sniff the ladder rungs and never look up. I only use ladder stands in pine trees and I have never been busted out of one.

I don't like screw in steps. I find them to be a pain and since I have used some of the same trees for over a decade, screwing steps in and out couldn't help the tree. The strap on climbing sticks are my preferred method. Again, I have never had a deer notice them and they are spaced well, easy to climb, etc.

I like both ladders and hang ons. It just depends on the situation. If you want to set up in a pine, then use a ladder. The branches will conceal the ladder and it is a one step process. Deciduous trees, hand on all the way. Just my thoughts.
I killed a 3 1/2 year out of a 20 ft ladder, he follewed the steps right up to me. He turned around to walk they other way and I shot him.

Difference in pressure, almost every gun hunter in MI hunts out 15 ft ladder stand from Cabelas We sold a pile of those damn things. Now the deer here are condition to look for them

If I hunted less pressure area I would not have a problem. In Northen MI is way worst, LOL I may go to the tree sling
Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM

I really agree that it depends on two variables, where you are going to hunt, meaning tree type, terrain, public or private land, and also if you plan to use just for bow, or bow and firearms?
Hang-ons can be hung in just about any type of tree and in just about any situation, but you will need steps or sticks and they can take a little effort to put up.
A ladder stand is a one package deal that can often feel more sure and offer better seating and rail options, but you will not be able to put them up in all trees and in all situations.
Just buy one of both and your set.
Of course then you will need a climber down the road too!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Hang on and climbing sticks. Even in my condition, (Both hips replaced and a knee soon to be done) I still feel comfortable.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another vote for the hang-ons, you just can't beat 'em especially for staying hidden from your quarry, as well as other hunters.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I killed a 3 1/2 year out of a 20 ft ladder, he follewed the steps right up to me. He turned around to walk they other way and I shot him.

Difference in pressure, almost every gun hunter in MI hunts out 15 ft ladder stand from Cabelas We sold a pile of those damn things. Now the deer here are condition to look for them

If I hunted less pressure area I would not have a problem. In Northen MI is way worst, LOL I may go to the tree sling
I don't doubt you one bit. The deer here are very highly pressured, but putting a ladder into a pine tree is the best concealed postion you can get in my opinion. They just never see you. With that said, I have never actually killed on out of a pine tree, but it sure seems like I should
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Me have no pines, LOL I agree if you can hide it why not
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang on for versatility. Check out Lone Wolf sticks and stands.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it sounds like everyones going with hang ons.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:12 AM

CLIMBERS THEN HANG ONS. LADDERS ARE AN INVITATION FOR SOMEONE TO HUNT OUT OF YOUR STAND OR FOR THEM TO STEAL IT.

Quick Reply: Hang-on vs. Ladder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.