Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounts

Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounts

I love ANY thread that asks "what do you think?", especially taxi threads because (unlike MOST of the folks here that candy coat everything) I love to critique mounts. I consider a mount a work of art and there for have high standards of what I want to see and what exactly I EXPECT to see. It cracks me up the number of threads where folks post up there mount pix and they honestly look terrible. Most of the time I'd simply love to tell folks that they got screwed by the butchers they took there trophies to! Fluffy ears, gapping open tear ducts, cracked and split noses and poorly trimmed bases where they couldn't match up the cape, you see it on the forums all the time! This problem even seems to be getting worse with more and more taxidermists springing up every year.

All that being said, I'm VERY impressed with your work especially considering the limited time you've been doing taxidermy. I'm betting that you most certainly have a career in the art! Your detail looks veryrespectable onyourwhitetail close up. The eyes, which seem to be a major problem area for many taxis, look impressively realistic on your mount. All the facial details are well tended to, from the nose to the ears.... good work my man! Best of luck with all your future work and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to be hearing about you and your studio in the future! Thanks for the pix
Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the buck in the middle with his nose tipped up. Whats that mount called, i think im going to get my next one done like that!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey you gotta start somewhere; great looking work based on your limited experience. Best of luck in the future, I am sure with dedication and time spent at your craft it will be very rewarding and you'll continue to refine and only get better.

My taxidermist has been doing it for 24 years... Hes amazing.. and has the resume to back it.

link to a field journal I did on Mel a year ago

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=426

Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on those birds especially!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

this class ran $8250 for 8 weeks of school which is less than half as expensive as some of the other schools i seen that want something like $22,000