Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coolest experience in the woods

Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coolest experience in the woods

Coolest experience in the woods was standing in waist deep slough with hundreds of wood ducks coming in to roost (not hunting, as it was twilight), and they didn't care that we were there and were landing all around us, splashing us and whizzing by our heads, and making all kinds of noise. It was a sight.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I as 11 years old, back when my dad was still alive. My grandpa had a pack string. We spent a week in the wilderness country of Idaho. 25 miles by horse-back elk hunting. My dad, his two brothers, brother in law an sister in law..and Gramps all killed bulls. The whole week I trailed my father. We had bugling bulls going every day, elk ran through our spike camp..we watched hundreds of elk throughout the week. We saw a huge mule deer buck and a few mountain goats.. A hunt of a lifetime on aDIY on public ground with Dad..It was awesome.

Dad told me I'd have a hard time topping that hunt... Still havent.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

A couple years ago I was rifle hunting the spot and stalk method. After walking many miles up and over steep rocky hills and running out of water, I decided it was time to walk back. Man was I tired and hurt all over. I was following a cattle trail and saw a lump of fur walking my way about a 100 yards away. When I got close enough, I recognized it as a porcupine. He looked just as tired as me. Neither one of us wanted any trouble. He moved over a couple feet to his right. I moved over a couple feet to my right. We passed by each other within 5 ft with neither of us stopping or making a sound. About 20 yards down the trail, I looked over my shoulder back down the trail. The porcupine was doing the same thing. It was like we had made a silent aggreement with each other. I will never forget those beedy little eyes staring into mine.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few years back we were hunting opening day of archery in NJ. We had just completed our morning hunt and met back at the truck to go back and get some breakfast and shower for the evening hunt. As we're going down the drive to head home I see some deer on the side of the road bedded down and tell my buddy to stop. We get out and walk to the edge and look over the hill. There are 3 nice bucks 30 yards away bedded down looking up at us. Two in velvet still, one probably in the 120's the other around 100" and one hard horned also in the 120's. They just sat looking up at us. The smaller buck got up to stretch once. I even stood there and made the motion of drawing my bow (without a bow in hand)and made a release sound and they just looked at me.

It was almost as if they were laughing at us knowing we hadnt' filled our earn-a-buck tags that morning.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a few:

Opening weekend of this years turkeyseason I was in a blind with 2 of my brothers. We had been calling for about an hour when an animal crested over the hill about 20 yards in front of us. We video-taped it for about 30 seconds, then it spotted us and ran. I posted the video on here a while back and everybody thought it was a yote, we thought it was either that or a large fox. Heres the vid again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suDfCvscr7g

I had another cool expierence the night before,I was sitting on the edge of a well used deer trail using my owl hooter to locate some gobblers when i heard some crunching. I turned my camera on and 2 does walked by me. It was probably the closest i ever got to a wild deer. heres that vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfQ9Qumpcco

And my last coolest expierence(s) were during turkey hunts. The first one is my first succesfull kill on video (brother actually shot), and my second one was a pre-season hunt were i called some jakes in. Heres those vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btkxnGtC-7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfcPpS4NaA

As you can tell i do alot of video-taping
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was squirrel hunting one day and heard several squirrels barking in one area. It was extremely dry, so I was surprised I was able to sneak up on them. I shot one of them and as he was falling, out of nowhere a coyote jumps up in the air and grabs him. He stood there long enough with the squirrel in his mouth for me to nail him. One less squirrel and coyote. Another time I was duck hunting. Had a Mallard come in and shot three times at him but didn't hit him well enough to knock him down. I usually shoot better than that. He was hit but still getting out of there. He was probably 30 or 40 feet high going straight up when a hawk swoops down and nails him. He fell right in the middle of my decoys where I finished him off. Felt bad about the hawk not getting his meal, but I got the first lick, so that was my duck. Also I had a buzzard(vulture) almost decapitate me in my bow stand one afternoon. I don't know what the hell he was doing, but he scared the crap out of me. I saw him coming about 50 yards out straight for me. I was thinking what the hell is he doing. I knew he didn't see me.He was coming fast and at the last second missed me and the tree by a couple of feet. He went right over my head. I think my heart pounded for 5 minutes.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM

This past season was the nest as far as cool things.

First, the last day of archery season I saw a huge buck (atleast a 10) chasing a doe. Too fay to get a shot with my bow, but just to see it on our property was awesome!

Second, this past season was the first time I ever heard 2 bucks fighting. That was wild!!

Now, it may not seem like much, but that was only my third hunting. I only ended up with a6 point last season, but all in all it was a great time!!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

that kinda sounds like my story, i first heard/saw bucks fighting last year and i also shot a 6 point. kinda wierd lol.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Last year while elk hunting in NM with my brother I had five big bulls bugling that were from 40 yard to 100 yards away in this big pasture and I was in the only little clump of trees in the area. I was so thrilled that I took out my cell phone and called my wife back in AZ so she could hear the total ear splitting noise these guys were making. My brother had a cow tag and was low crawling in the tall grass in between all these bulls and was even closer than I was. In the end he gets his cow and we have some really great memories.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 AM

Buck fights always get me. Last year brokemy consecutive year streak of seeing one at 4 years. Love to watch bucks push does as well.

Quick Reply: Coolest experience in the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.