Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Magellan
5.26%
Garmin
84.21%
Other?
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

GPS Magellan Vs Garmin

Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Default GPS Magellan Vs Garmin

I need some help please!

I want to buy a GPS handheld unit for backcountry hunts...which one do you recommend? I see that Magelland and Garmin are the 2 main manufacturers...

Your comments will be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

PS. My budget is $350 for the unit...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS Magellan Vs Garmin

I have a Garmin Rhino that I love. The GPS/walkie-talkie function is awesome, especially with the GPS locater in the event of injury. I don't know much about the Magellin however so take it at face value.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 PM

I moslty hunt alone, so I don't know how important the radio feature will be for me, but it's good to know it's available...

Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

My vote is for the Lowrance Expedition Plus. MAke sure you get it with the Mapping version 7 rather than 6.3. Do some research on all competition, but bang for the buck the Expedition is the way to go.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn, that is the second time today I have given someone completely unapplicableinfo
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might be kind of partial But even back in the day where I work with both Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrance GPS's on a daily basis, I always preferred Garmin for many reasons, followed by Magellan, and then Lowrance. When you have the Etrex series, 60 series, 76 series, and the Rino Series, why look anywhere else...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Damn, that is the second time today I have given someone completely unapplicableinfo
And don't think it wasn't noted, too!

Actually.....for my urban honey holes.....I can use my Tom-Tom. It's already got all the roads loaded in!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Dandbuck, how is the compatibility of map software for the Lowrance GPS and availability?

KSHunter, could you list some of those reasons why you chose Garmin Vs Magellan? is that size, functions, batery life, etc

Thank you all!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a website that compares GPS units and has a tremendous amount of info on them. If you can't find the answers to your (not the thread starter specifically, but anyone) GPS questions here then I am thinking you have a lot of questions.

http://gpsinformation.net/
Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the yahoo forums, search for the garmin and lowrance specific forums and start reading. Lots of info there. You can convert your maps to use right on the google earth site(so I've been told), but that's way past where this busy business owner has time to learn about.
Dandbuck

Quick Reply: GPS Magellan Vs Garmin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.