Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

When I think about the upcoming deer season.....I realize this will be only the second season I've STARTED, bowhunting. I scouted early, last year, and I knew where they'd be when the season rolled in.

I've been thinking during the off-season (scary, huh?)....and I THOUGHT I wasn't going to scout, much. After all.....I knew where they were, last year.....and the tracts aren't that large.....they'll be in the same place, right?

I don't know. One thing I DID realize the other day......that I hadn't thought of.....is CROP ROTATION. What was corn, last year,.......is soy beans, THIS year (and vice versa). I HAVE to think this is going to affect my deer movement.

So much for taking the deer for granted.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

That's where good communication with the farmer/landowner help. I knew what was gonna be where this year..last year!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I did, too, GR8. It isn't that hard (they rotate each year, here).....I just didn't think about it until I saw the corn planted the other day.

Gotta get up early again......
Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

One thing I DID realize the other day......that I hadn't thought of.....is CROP ROTATION.
Yeah, from my experience, the deer hammer those beans in the early season. Theres nothing i love more then gettin out and videoing velvet bucks, especially since it doubles as a scouting trip.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around me, it seems that the biggest impact the farmers have isn't what they plant, but when they harvest it. Having the last crops standing can pay huge dividends if there is any way you can ask the farmer to do those fields last.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's the kicker huntingson.....

The landowners whose land I hunt don't have ANY crops. They just have land that abuts the deer's bedding areas. It really matters not to me who has standing crops........they're ALL (deer) coming back "home". Standing corn actually HURTS me. Deer will bed in the corn......and not come "home". I like it when ALL the corn gets cut down......and the earlier the better.

They haven't planted the beans, yet......but they've sprayed the fields. It's not hard to tell what's going where (the corn is already planted).
Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rotation used to be obvious. However, with the demand for bio-fuels at a peak many of the farmers in my area are NOT rotating, making predicting deer movement easier than ever! In fact the 700+ acres of corn that surrounds my own property will ALL be corn again! In fact, the 90 acre field that my easement road winds through will be corn for the 5th season in a row! The couple hundred acres to the North has also been no-till planted in corn for just as long. The only thing that isn't corn in my area will be the band of CRP that borders my property before opening up to the large fields and of course MY food plots! My plots should be as sweet as ever! Come on October!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know. One thing I DID realize the other day......that I hadn't thought of.....is CROP ROTATION. What was corn, last year,.......is soy beans, THIS year (and vice versa). I HAVE to think this is going to affect my deer movement.

So much for taking the deer for granted.
John Eberhart talks about these kinds of things in his books. One of the reasons I like them so much.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the kicker huntingson.....

The landowners whose land I hunt don't have ANY crops. They just have land that abuts the deer's bedding areas. It really matters not to me who has standing crops........they're ALL (deer) coming back "home". Standing corn actually HURTS me. Deer will bed in the corn......and not come "home". I like it when ALL the corn gets cut down......and the earlier the better.

They haven't planted the beans, yet......but they've sprayed the fields. It's not hard to tell what's going where (the corn is already planted).
Touche. Consider my point retracted.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

huntingson:

Mister....I sincerely hope you didn't think I was discounting your advice. QUITE THE CONTRARY. I know what you say is probably a great strategy. I've said all along I have a unique place to hunt.

Itruly enjoy your insights, though....and theyre appreciated. Didn't want that to go unsaid.

Quick Reply: Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.