Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting.....Something often overlooked (I'd bet)

The price of corn has increased to the point where most farmers are planting corn to corn, rather than corn to beans.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Just wondering.....what are they doing (these farmers) to offset the mineral depletion that comes with planting corn year after year? Is he price of corn SO great....as to offset the cost of the minerals required to put back in the fields before planting?

Isn't that a fair question?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck no GMMAT, I wasn't concerned about that one bit. I was just messing around because what I said was totally unapplicable.

Don't worry about me, not only do I not take things too seriously (usually) but I think you are a good guy.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crop rotation makes the biggest difefrence in the world every year where I hunt. Soy makes it great for early season scouting and early season patterning on field edges. I can see where and what time the ones I want to try and target are coming out to feed. Corn, makes it tougher to see the deer once the corn gets to be 4 or 5 feet, once its over 6 feet I hunt the oaks and creeksuntil the corn is cut. They just go out and bed in the corn, makes it very hard to hunt them. But they have to drink!! Especially when its still hot in Sept and Oct.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, Your right, cop rotation avoids a decrease in soil fertility, as growing the samecrop repeatedly in the same place obviously would eventually deplete the soilof various nutrients.A crop that leaches the soil of one kind of nutrient is followed during the next growing season by a dissimilar crop that returns that nutrient to the soil or draws a different ratio of nutrients, for example, rices followed by cottons. You are correct, fertalizers are expensive, especially when your dealing with 1k+ acres of crops. But farmers around here are getting that money back, plus income when they sell there corn harvest. And when corn goes up 1.50 a bushel, a little nitrogen isnt a big deal to farmers.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

GREAT reply...PSE....Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Due to the price increase for corn and related crops, after 4 years of soybeans, they are planting our field in milo (soil not right for corn). I'm disappointed, but am looking forward to the challenge and change of scouting and figuring out what they do with the Milo.

GMMAT, the deer where we hunt absolutely terrorize the soybeans (no need for summer food plot), especially if you get any second growth after harvest. Once there is even a light freeze, all of the soybean plants will die. BUT, the deer will continue to browse the old pods and spilt beans remaining on the ground. The other thing about soybeans is that it doesn't give the deer any cover, so usually they are only going to do nocturnal feeding on it, or feed close to cover or around a bend, etc.