Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

early doe season

Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

Default early doe season

what do use think about a early doe season.i want to go out but my best freind doesn't want to. he desn't want to spook the bucks. we hunt the same area, there are others guys who hunt there. and i'm positive that other people will be out there. sept.15-28 is the early doe season from sept.29-nov.12 is both. would you go out? he said that blood and other deer guts will spook'em. but i dont think it will.
thanks
Pa
Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: early doe season

Personally, I try to keep a couple of my "hot" stands for buck only and then use others to try to bag some does. I'll go out, but I'll be staying out of the prime areas until antlers are legal.

There's not much you can do about other hunters though.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm giving myself 2 weeks to bag a buck.....THE buck.....and then I'm laying every slickhead I see down......until the state of NC runs out of doe tags.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year we killed 2 bucks and one doe from the same stand in 5 days. I do not think that it matters at all. We also saw several BIG bucks in the area of that stand throughout the season. Just never when we were in the stand. Good luck on your early doe hunt.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Firstly, I would like to add that I'm all about balancing sex ratios and improving age structure of the herd by shooting Doe. It is a very, very important aspect in QDM. However, I will add that there is no way you should believe that you can kill Does and not have the areas bucks know that the hunting pressure is on. The extra human activity and all the additional scent laid down WILL tip off the mature bucks in the area and send them even more into a nocturnal lifestyle, which they are on for the most part that time of the year. I wouldn't spoil my best stand areas. That being said, I believe that fiedl edge stands in large feeding areas would be the way to thin out your Does. Good luck to ya but don't penetrate your buck areas.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM

i know plus you can hunt differnt areas and scout it out at the same time
ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Firstly, I would like to add that I'm all about balancing sex ratios and improving age structure of the herd by shooting Doe. It is a very, very important aspect in QDM. However, I will add that there is no way you should believe that you can kill Does and not have the areas bucks know that the hunting pressure is on. The extra human activity and all the additional scent laid down WILL tip off the mature bucks in the area and send them even more into a nocturnal lifestyle, which they are on for the most part that time of the year. I wouldn't spoil my best stand areas. That being said, I believe that fiedl edge stands in large feeding areas would be the way to thin out your Does. Good luck to ya but don't penetrate your buck areas.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like stated before, there should be nothing to prevent you from hunting the early seasons, just don;t hunt your best rut stands, that's all.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm giving myself 2 weeks to bag a buck.....THE buck.....and then I'm laying every slickhead I see down......until the state of NC runs out of doe tags.
If you need any help on that.....
Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

IL-Cornfed is right on.I highly doubt that deer blood and guts will scare the other deer away. But like others have said, the hunting pressureis themain concern. If you have too many does, go wack em, I would!