Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Varmet Hunting

Old 05-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Varmet Hunting

Who here varmet hunts with a bow and not a gun and if so what do you use for the arrow tip?
I hunt raccoons and squirrels with a bow and 100 grain broad heads...Thanks appreciate your responses!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Varmet Hunting

If I were going to be shooting racoons.....I'd go with a fixed blade broadhead.

I can't see shooting a $13 arrow with a $10 broadhead at a squirrel.....so ya got me, there.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM

yeah i use a fixed blade as well. The last raccoon I shot i skinned, and now i am trying to taxidermy it myself. I taxied a squirrel and turned out nice so we'll have to see how this one goes!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Have you looked into Judo tips? They will work on small game and they aren't expensive like a broadhead.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM

I have heard of them but i really dont understand how they work? are they dependable and where would your shot placement be?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Here a couple heads from Cabela's. The judo come in 100g, 125 and 135g.
They are also great for stump shooting, try them out that way to see how they fly.

Judo Points
The Judo Points are a favorite among small-game hunters. These judo points feature small spring arms that snag on grass, brush or the ground on impact to flip your arrow up vertically to reduce loss. Also available in 135-grain with a 5° taper for wooden arrows.

Below is a G5 small game head, they come in 100g and 125.
Hope this helps.

G5 Small Game Head
Dispatches down-sized critters with a mega dose of shock-and-tear trauma. Expect instant immobilization, rapid fatality and field-point flight. It thumps and grabs with authority thanks to three talon like prongs with sharpened inner surfaces and a rounded nose. Prongs flip the arrow upward at ground impact for easy recovery.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM

have you ever used one before? Where do you aim. I pull 68 pounds will that be too much for judo points snapping? I really would not like to adjust the poundage...just a hastle
Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHuntr

have you ever used one before? Where do you aim. I pull 68 pounds will that be too much for judo points snapping? I really would not like to adjust the poundage...just a hastle
I have only used them for stump shooting. I haven't hunted small game with them. My bow is sighted in for 100grain broadheads/fieldtips, so I use the same weight on my judo tips. There should not be too much difference in the accuracy within 30yds. They are a pretty durable head, so shooting your weight will not be a problem. The arms on the head have springs, so they can grab on to things.

Like any new piece of equipment, you should practice with it until you are comfortable, before you take it in the field, no matter the game you hunt.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

ive used those g5 small game heads. they do wonders on squirrels. dead almost instantly. havnt shot anything else with them though.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Interesting Thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: Varmet Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.