Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Varmet Hunting

Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Varmint Hunting

With small game like bunnies and squirrels you want a blunt or judo tip, not a broad head. They don't kill them like a deer or bigger pest. They kill by shock. It transfers the energy into the animaland pretty much stuns them to death, and I'm sure breaks some bones at the same time. Possibly snapping the neck.

I have shot bunnies and squirrels with both broad heads (mechanicals) and blunt tips. The blunts work much better. It anchors them right on the spot usually. They don't run and bleed, they just flip over and die. Doesn't really matter where you hit them either, just aim for the middle of the body or front shoulder.

Now with a raccoon or woodchuck I don't know if I would use a blunt tip or not. Those are pretty decent sized and tough critters. You may just piss one off doing that unless you had a heavy arrow and a bow with mucho KE. I wouldn't want to do it with mine I know that.

I think large cut mechanicals would work good for those critters. Or better yet cheap good flying fixed heads. Take my word for it, shooting at woodchucks with a bow will result in some ruined arrows.

Paul
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

With small game like bunnies and squirrels you want a blunt or judo tip, not a broad head. They don't kill them like a deer or bigger pest. They kill by shock. It transfers the energy into the animaland pretty much stuns them to death, and I'm sure breaks some bones at the same time. Possibly snapping the neck.

I have shot bunnies and squirrels with both broad heads (mechanicals) and blunt tips. The blunts work much better. It anchors them right on the spot usually. They don't run and bleed, they just flip over and die. Doesn't really matter where you hit them either, just aim for the middle of the body or front shoulder.

Now with a raccoon or woodchuck I don't know if I would use a blunt tip or not. Those are pretty decent sized and tough critters. You may just piss one off doing that unless you had a heavy arrow and a bow with mucho KE. I wouldn't want to do it with mine I know that.

I think large cut mechanicals would work good for those critters. Or better yet cheap good flying fixed heads. Take my word for it, shooting at woodchucks with a bow will result in some ruined arrows.

Paul
I concur with everthing paul said here .... I love shooting small game with a bow .... the judo heads DEFINITELY crush bone ... deadly on small game, rabbit size and under ..... I have killed over a dozen woodchucks, and I can tell you, a broadhead works the best .... now that I have updated into the 21st century ... I'm afraid of breaking my carbons for a woodchuck[>:].... aluminuims are so much cheaper ..... inevitably though, one will mess with my wife's dogs, and I will be forced to send an arrow through some more chucks this year.....
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Bone and tissue gets stuck in the judo's ,,, I didn't like them at all . For me - If it's on the ground , G5 SGH (best small game head out there , I've tried them all ) , If it's in a tree or around rocks - blunt tip . I 've shot a dozen or so rabbits with broadheads and have had great results with those too ,, but I think shot placment is a little more critical for a fast kill , and it's probably overkill for somthing like that . But I wouldn't trust a small game head for a critter as large or mean as a coon . Thants my 2 cents .