Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

Hi guys,

I'm new to the sport, but I would like to get me a nice bow that I can take hunting this year. I don't know much about bows, and there are so many out there, so its kind of hard for a begginer to pick and choose and not make a mistake. I've read a bit about bows and I've seen that most popular are hoyt, mathews and pse I think.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I don't wanna buy something cheap now and then later to have to spend more money getting a good thing. Working with a budget of about thousand bucks, so help me out to get the best thing for the money.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

I would suggest going to a pro shop and shoot all the bows you mentioned but add Bowtec to the equation. I hope your pro shop is a good one so you don't make a $1000 mistake.Where do you live? Others might be able to help you with a shop once weknow where your from.You might be better of with a cheaper bow to start with for your 1st hunting season and elevate up the following year.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rick,the support you get from a quality Pro shop will be more important than which particular manufacturer's bow you buy.Any of those four companies bow's are quality.
My own opinion is that I wouldn't go top of the line right away,I would want to make sure I enjoy it before devoting big dollars to it.I would also suggest to you that you get a bow that is easier to shoot ie. relatively long axle to axle and a high brace height,smoother cam configuration.You need to have excellent form before being able to shoot the more critical speed bows consistently well.
I would look for a shop where the pro is straight with you and know's that for your enjoyment of the sport he or she needs to bring you along in a particular sequence.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

The new Fred Bear Truth bow is a stellar package at a great price, check that out.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My personasl fav for '07 is the Hoyt Vectrix. If it's within your reach than I'd go for it.

However, as mentioned above, if you need to save a bit, take a serious look at the Bear Truth... it really is a decent rig for the money.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

For 1k you should be able to get a pretty nice bow package.

A small warning, if you do not have anything, there is a whole lot to buy,
arrows (80-120 for a dozen fletched), a release (40-70), a stabilizer (25-75), a sight (50-150), a rest (40-90), a quiver (30-40), small things like peep, field points, sling, hex tool ($20), target (50-90). So, just the extras can run you about $335 - 655 (and more), and will quickly eat up your budget.

This is not intended to be discouraging, b/c it is a lot of fun to get all this stuff and get started, but just to help you budget.

The bare bow I shoot (Tribute) is great and is about $700 at most pro shops. The Drenalin (Matthews), Vectrix (Hoyt), and Guardian (Bowtech) will probably run you about $750.00 bare bow (give or take $30). Cheaper bows sometimes come with packages, like the Bowtech Tomkat package, which is a good one. Sometimes pro shops will have trade in bows from last year's models that you can get a good deal on. It's definitely worth going to a pro shop, most will size you, help you decide between 60 or 70 lbs., and let you shoot the bows, and there usually is not a lot of sales pressure. They want you to like the bow you buy.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres the results to the Head to Head bowtest. The people shooting the bows were blindfolded so they would no know which one they were shooting and rated the bows.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2007headtohead/

The top 5 of the overall the results (subjective)were:
- Bowtech Guardian 239
- Parker Pioneer XP 204
- Hoyt Vectrix 200
- Mathews Drenalin 194
- Ross Cardiac 192

I would consider shooting all those bows and see which you like best.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Lots of great bows out there.
I would suggest, as others have, to try as many as you can.
Find a pro shop that carries multiple brands. Find one that doesn't TELLYOU what you like(this may be difficult).

Spend the $ on the bow(the one YOU like best), you can always always upgrade the acc. later for less than a new bow. Example, I sell both Cobra and G5 sights. The new Cobra Boomslang sight is awesome and only 58.00 a new G5 is anywhere from 119.00-150.00! both will do the job just fine. By going with lower priced, but still good acc. on the bow you can buy a nicer bow.

There are some "sleepers" out there in the bow market that don't get as much air time here and the bigger names but are fine bows. Check some of them out too.

Welcome to the addiction that is bowhunting!

Let us know where you are from and I am sure someone here will have a shop to recommend for you.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's in my sig was about $1100 tax inc. The memories will be priceless.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Spike

I agree with Buellhunter.Spend the money on the best bow you like and save on the accessories. Its much easier to upgrade on the accessories later, than one or two years later upgrading on a new bow. Not to mention that if you don't like archery hunting, its much easier to sell one of the top of the line models than a mid-grade bow. I'm speaking from personal experience with wanting to upgrade not long after. I've also had friends buy mid-grade bows and then buying new ones not long after. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.