Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

Old 05-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunter looking for the best out there !

I definitely agree to skimp on accessories first if you have to. Also, you could upgrade a little as you go. I tried to put good accessories on an old bow for last hunting season, trying to save money, but that was not a good idea.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look at Ross...they are EXCELLENT bows.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forget about spending $1000 for a complete rig if you are going to a pro shop. You can get just the bow, and maybe crappy componets to go on it for under $1K. But why put entry level stuff on a high-end bow? Its like putting hub-caps on a corvette.

For a beginner bow (don't take offense to that please, what I mean here is that you are a begining shooter), you want a bow that is EASY to shoot with bad form, or if you make a few mistakes. So you are going to want a high brace height, at least 7 1/2".

One other piece of advice, don't worry about speed. They are all plenty fast enough to kill a deer.

I'll let everyone else tell you what kind of bow you should buy. But just keep those two main items in the fore-front of your mind. High brace heighth, and speed doesn't matter all that much. No diff to a deer between 320 and 280.

Make sure the bow FITS YOU! And you being able to draw it is the most important thing! It should be comfortable to you! What we think doesn't matter, because we aren't shooting it. Try a bunch out, and pick the one you think gives you the most satisfaction for the money! Enjoy!