Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

calling

Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calling

i guess from most of your reactions you feelthat silence is best

[/align]
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey it sounds like a great idea to me, but i know im not the only person who has ever seen a deer spook from a squirrel?? I have had a few deer spook from a squirrel mostly knocking branches off and stuff but i also believe that each animal in the woods has its own distress call that sends signals to all critters....esp.. those darn squirrels[:@]!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me get this straight.......

I'm supposed to have deer in the area......around me.....UNaware of my presence in my treestand.......and I'm supposed to make noises like the forest critters to .......to WHAT? They're already not aware of my presence.Is itsupposed to put them at "double-secret" ease?

I'm sorta making fun of it ,,,,,because I don't know about it. I apologize. BUT.....it sounds WAYYYYYY out there as far as a viable strategy to pursue whitetails.

I DO grab a stick on the way in the woods, sometimes......and do what I can to mask my 2-legged walk.....crunching in the leaves. I read that from Joe Brooks. BUT....I'm already making noise in that instance.

It'll be interesting to see how this thread goes.
he was referring to after you make noise already as well. he doesnt mean to use squirrel and turkey calls to bringdeer within range, just usethose calls if you break a branch or drop something making noise, to kind of give an explanation as to what made that noise.

I just read where this guy recomended that if you made noise or broke a branch to use a turkey or squirrel call to fool the deer and put the deer at ease that the sound is somthing non threatening . Does anybody do this or think this would be a good technique?
it makes sense and is logical butIMO it isnt neccessary. but if you drop something from stand and he deer lookes spooked, why not try this and see if it eventually settles down.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

when i break a limb while walking or clearing one out of the way i always remain still a quiet and observe the surrounding area more than likely that deer will freeze for awhile and look around.
they will either become unease or relax but still be observant.
ive heard of people using turkey calls while going to the stand.never meet one