Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well here come the Houses

Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Well here come the Houses

The red Rectangle is where the first house will be. They started digging today.

I have mixed feelings, knowing it will not bother me. I think it will make the hunting better for me. The houses can not be built by the river in the bottoms. So the mature bucks will now have more places to hide. I am going to put an entire field as a plot. To draw them out during the rut.

It does bothering me a bit for my Dad and uncles. They are gun hunters and I can see the hand writing on the wall for them.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Well here come the Houses

yeah it definetly happens. The more we progress through the years the more houses that are going to pop up. It looks like you have plenty of land there for it not to affect you too much. It, as you said, might help patterning the deer.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Bummer. Prime hunting ground is disolving at an ALARMING rate...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks man, I feel your pain. There is a town road on my great aunt's section of our family owned belt of property in PA that was supposedly abandoned in the 1950's that now a landlocked landowner is forcing the town to reopen. The road is a washed out logging trail at this point that is so wet it buriedour 4wd Kubota to the frame. Because the town cannot find proper paperwork on file stating it was officially abandoned, they have to provide him tax dollar paid access to his property right through and less than 100 yards from the main buck bedding area onmy families property. My family has put a TON of money into lawyers to try and prevent this, but the guy is convinced he can sell his landlocked 6 acres into at least 4 lots for big $$$. To give you an idea, I just bought 26 acres of hill top meadow with 5 mile views less than 1/4 mile from there for around $1500 an acre, and this guy wants $60k for his 6 acres in a creek bottom that won't perk. We all put in bids for it and he decliined............

The town has court order to proceed june 1st. The surveyors already marked it too. I have very mixed feelings about this and can definitely relate to your thoughts. [:@]

Food plots are a great idea and also something I am doing more of because of this. Food plots are going to the other end of the belt of property. We also created a LOT of bedding cover elsewhere and a sanctuary on the opposite side of the propertyduring the logging projectlast year so I am confident we will still see good deer on a consistent basis but it isstill very frustrating and doesn't settle right.

I wish your family best of luck with this, it is sad to see this happening and makes you wonder where our grand kids will hunt.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if we have to sell down the road we will get around 5 million, I am sure we can find a place. The issue I have is I am a hard headedSOB and the land has been in our family since 1860. I take a lot of pride in that, and do not want to give it up.

I do not want to be the one who makes them roll over in there gravesand sell out.

Like I said in the long run I will see more mature bucks, but at what cost to others. I can tell you if these are some yuppies moving in they are going to get a rude awaking on Nov 15th. I call him Uncle Trigger for a reason
Old 05-18-2007, 08:39 PM

It's a terrible thing we are doing to our environment. [:@][:@][:@]Florida is the worst...they won't be content until they bulldoze every tree and concrete every piece of ground. Shameful. My local hunting spots are nearly gone.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Going on around here too. They added 2500 new homes to our school district in the past 4 years. So many new kids they had to build 4 new schools just to hold them all. I lost about 125 acres I used to be able to hunt. And the trafic is getting worse and worse. My daughter has one more year of high school, then it might be time to find a little more room.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah thats a bummer. do what ever it takes to keep it in the family Germ! good luck with the new development!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 AM

Sometimes its good and sometimes it bad. But the gun hunters will take the first hit for sure. Try and hold on to you land, you can only have family land like that once. I have some cousins up there, cant remember if they live on Cone Road or Ida Road but they too have been offered alot of money for there land but have not yet sold. I need to get up there and hunt since they have invited me several times but have yet to go.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope it works out.

Quick Reply: Well here come the Houses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.