Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting to get hooked........

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Starting to get hooked........

So recently the shop I help out at part time got a brand new technohunt system. It's tons of fun, but can really teach you to anticipate the shot and start punching the trigger. In speaking with mycoach about this he made the recommendation to pick up a recurve to shoot the system with just for fun, and so that it doesn't affect my shot execution that I have been working on for so long. So for the last week or so, I have been using a borrowed custom recurve made by "hummingbird" to fling arrows at the technohunt, and I must say I have gotten pretty good back to 20 yards and it is a ton of fun..................

I can't say that I will go full bore traditional anytime soon, I really want to get much better in other venues of archery and don't have the time to dedicate to traditional right now, but once I hit that point where I have some perfect indoor games under my belt I can see myself shooting more and more with traditional equipment. It's just fun..........

Anyone else ever think about putting the compound down for a while and picking up a recurve or long bow? I might keep practicing and see if I can kill a deer out of one of my doe hotspots with it this fall.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Starting to get hooked........

Oh, great.... NOW you've gone and done it... I'll check back later for the three-page diatribe from Matt / PA... [8D]

Do you know how many links he's sent me to all sorts of beautiful longbows and recurves so I'll share this new-found addiction of his?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Oh, great.... NOW you've gone and done it... I'll check back later for the three-page diatribe from Matt / PA... [8D]

Do you know how many links he's sent me to all sorts of beautiful longbows and recurves so I'll share this new-found addiction of his?
When is Bowtech makinga recurve or longbow?

Boy would we here stories then, LOL

yes RJ I have thought about it
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Hah,I kind of anticipated Matt participating on this thread, I know he got bit by this bug bad from some of his posts lately. I can see why. I haven't quite accomplished what he has with a compound in the 3D world yet, but when I get to that point with the compound with both 3D and indoors, I can easily see myself really getting into it with traditional equipment as a means of something new to try. It's tons of fun and even though I sometimes miss the target completely it really is addicting. The technohunt system I really think is more fun with traditional equipment than it would be with a compound.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started shooting a recurve several months ago and I really enjoy it. I hope to be proficient enough with it to hunt with this archery deerseason. I try to practice every day even if it is only 1 shot. I have improved to the point that 4 out of 5 shots hit vitals on my 3-D deer target at 20 yds. That is not good enough. When I can hit 5 for 5 I'll deer hunt.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've thought about it many times. Time and money have kept me from it. Eventually though I could see me abandoning the compound if I really like it. I just like to keep things simple.

Tom
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

So for the last week or so, I have been using a borrowed custom recurve made by "hummingbird" to fling arrows at the technohunt, and I must say I have gotten pretty good back to 20 yards and it is a ton of fun..................
Hummingbirdmake very nice recurves... Are you going to give it back?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

If I thought I had enough time to gt proficient.....I'd go after them pesky does with a recurve, this Fall.

BUT.....I want to stay sharp for my Spring turkey hunt in KS, too. I'll likely shoot a compound until after next turkey season.....THEN...I think I might give the longbow a shot.

After thinking about this for a minute or two......I'd like to go after my HOME turkeys with a longbow, NEXT YEAR. Wouldn't THAT be a hoot??

I may have to look at this again.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the trad stuff in the past for small game and was getting really good with it.I have killed some Pheasants and quail with it and it was a blast but as you said,time is critical to be profficient with it and I just didn't have it at the time.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 PM

I've got both a nice custom recurve and super nice custom takedown longbow that I pull out now and then. (Sure would be nice to tote a 1# bow after goats rather than 6#'s of bow and toys...) I'm just not making enough time to get to a level of proficiency that I feel comfortable with. Now that I'm rid of the g/f maybe I'll have more time to spend with the longbow... Nahhh, I've still got a boat.[&:] So many hobbies, so little time.

Quick Reply: Starting to get hooked........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.